Skilled in fashion

Students create and wear their own designs at Coquette

The Coquette fashion show held Friday night at the Indiana Memorial Union was met with excitement, compliments and much success. Months of hard work paid off for Collins resident Ruth Vaca, Union Board committee head Markeyta Martin and all of the student designers involved. \nThe show, sponsored by Collins Living Learning Center, the Union Board and PEOPLE magazine, was a chance for student designers who were not part of the fashion design program to show off their talent in front of seven judges and more than 100 audience members. Five finalists' designs were chosen for the runway show. The student designers had to make all of the clothes themselves without using name brand clothing in their designs. This year's first place winner was Katie Dombek.\nJudges for the show were all seasoned in fashion design and the business aspects of fashion. Apparel Merchandising Professor Deborah Christiansen explained why Dombek was the winner of the contest.\n"Katie was chosen as the winner because she had the total package," Christiansen said. "Her clothes were well-made, creative and realistic, and she chose the right models to wear her clothing."\nJudge Chris Jaimes, a visual merchandiser for Bloomington's Urban Outfitters, agreed with Christiansen.\nDombek said she was inspired by Eastern and Asian Fashion. She titled her collection "Women of the World," which featured designs inspired by French, Asian and American design concepts. \n"My first design -- a navy, pinstripe, three-piece pantsuit was inspired by designer Cynthia Rowley," Dombek explained. "Each design started as something small and turned into something totally different than my first intentions."\nDombek often designs and makes her own clothes. \n"I saw a pair of white linen pants at J. Crew, and they were expensive," Dombek said. "I decided to make them myself and liked them so much that I entered them into the show."\nMusic and Costume Construction Technology Professor Mary K. Grusak felt the models enhanced the experience. \n"The models gave the impression that the clothes were fun," Grusak said. "It lends a lot to the show."\nEach designer had her own concept of design and beauty. Designer Mo Nottingham, a general studies major with a concentration in design, chose all plus-size designs for her collection, titled "Femme Fatale." Nottingham's edgiest design was worn by model Kat Robertson, a local nurse. Robertson sported a harem outfit made of maroon and green sheer material and a head scarf made of organdy and satin.\nSome designers chose to make their clothes appeal to a modern college audience. Freshman designer Hannah Myers called her collection "Urban Heat" and featured popular looks, such as short pleated skirts, tube tops and flip flops. \nDesigner Candy Britton, a senior majoring in telecommunications, received second place in the contest and had a different perspective on her collection, themed "Empowerment." \n"I was tired of seeing girls walking around half naked," Britton said. "I wanted to give women back the power to embrace their inner creativity and nurture themselves."\nEach of Britton's designs was created by hand without a sewing machine, each piece took a day to sew. The pieces were given titles such as "radiance" and "lavishly lavender." Britton's designs received numerous comments from audience members.\n"Her first piece looked like something Carrie from 'Sex and the City' would wear," said Alyssa Kind, a sophomore and audience member.\nThe piece was called "sway," a turquoise, draped jumper with white detail made out of 100 percent polyester.\nThe sponsors of the show were also pleased with the outcome. \n"It was everything I expected and more," Vaca said. "However, this would not be possible without Markeyta and Union Board. I was the producer with the ideas, and she made my ideas happen."\nMartin was pleased with the show as well. \n"I was so nervous, but it turned out better than expected," said Martin. \nWith the success of the show, Vaca said she is planning on recreating the event next year. \n"I have every intention of making it a yearly event."\n-- Contact staff writer Jaimie Cohen at jrcohen@indiana.edu.