IU destroys Chicago St. 29-5

Heavy winds help Hoosiers hit 6 home runs, 24 hits in offensive blowout

The Hoosiers demolished the Chicago State Cougars 29-5 Wednesday to improve to 13-7 on the season. \nIU put together an offensive display resulting in 29 runs off of 24 hits. On a day when the wind was blowing heavily out to all sides of the field, the Hoosier hitters took advantage. They combined for six home runs on the day, the highest output this season. \nSenior David Hughes led the way for IU with a three-run dinger in the third and another two-run shot in the fourth to give him five RBIs on the day. \nSenior Kevin Mahar hit a grand slam to mark a seven-run fourth inning, as well. \nThe Hoosiers started relatively slow offensively with five runs in the first two innings, but then exploded. \nHughes and senior Seth Bynum each had a pair of home runs to help start an eight-run third inning. \nHughes said he of course loved hitting the pair of homers, but he wasn't concentrating on getting the ball out of the park. \n"It always feels good to hit a home run, but with the wind today, if you just drive the ball the wind should carry it," Hughes said. "I really wasn't even trying to hit home runs today. I was mainly focusing on driving the ball, and the home runs came."\nIU coach Bob Morgan was pleased with his team's offensive output, but said it was relative due to the nature of the competition. The Cougars fell to 1-17 on the season. \n"They didn't show us a lot pitching today, we hit the ball good at times but they also walked a lot of guys which helped us out," Morgan said. "It was a hitter's day and we hit the ball well -- it just got contagious."\nMorgan also emphasized a needed improvement for the Hoosiers pitchers.\n"We could have pitched better today. Guys need to do a better job of hitting their spots," Morgan said.\nSophomore Troy Ragle started the game, but came out after just one inning's work. Sophomore Dan Pezley relieved Ragle and went three innings, giving up four earned runs on four hits. \nIn the fifth, freshman Matt Saba came in and picked up the victory to improve his record to 4-0 on the season. Saba said it was a lot easier to pitch with such a big lead.\n"It was a lot more relaxing pitching today," Saba said. "With such a big lead, I was just concentrating on throwing strikes and letting them put the ball in play so the defense could work."\nThe 29 runs for the Hoosiers are easily the most scored this year, surpassing the 18 runs scored against Cleveland State. \nTwelve different players collected hits for IU, including three hits from sophomore Reggie Watson, sophomore Ryan Parker, and reigning Big Ten Player of the Week, junior Joe Kemp. \nThe Hoosiers return to action this weekend when they take on Wright State at home Friday and Saturday. \n-- Contact staff writer Alex Witteveld at pawittev@indiana.edu.