Monday, June 17

From Tron to Tyree, this DVD pleases me

Chappelle DVD better than a free crack giveaway

With the Federal Communications Commission policing the content of television at extreme levels these days, it's amazing that Dave Chappelle's brilliantly racy sketch comedy series has lasted as long as it has. Comedy Central's wise decision to release season one of "Chappelle's Show" on DVD in uncensored form should delight Dave's fans while at the same time twisting Bill O'Reilly's skivvies in knots.\nThe strength of this series lies in its utter lack of fear to embrace and exploit stereotypes as comical yet inherently true. Race, class and gender are treated as springboards for some of the most jaw-droppingly truthful jokes seen in mainstream entertainment since Richard Pryor's controversial stand-up specials of the mid '70s and early 1980's. While watching the 12 episodes included in season one, I am often reminded of one of cinema's greatest and most hotly debated comedies, Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles," a film which would scarcely see the light of day if released in today's painfully PC multiplex landscape.\nExtras include 30 minutes of deleted scenes and sketches, semi-insightful commentary on several episodes by Chappelle and co-writer Neal Brennan and a hilarious look deep into the mind of acclaimed comedian Paul Mooney entitled "Ask a Black Dude."\nDave Chappelle's brand of comedy is certainly not for everyone, least of all those offended by constant barrages of cursing, racial slurs and drug humor. However, for those who prefer their laughs with a dual dose of honesty, realism and offbeat randomness, this set is a must.