Finally, a win

Better late than never, I guess.\nEven if the fans and media have given up, it is at least mildly refreshing to know the players haven't. Granted, Wednesday's win over Michigan has a sort of empty feeling, basically like a Geico commercial where the patient asks, "So you don't have to amputate?" and the doctor goes, "Oh, I do. But I just saved 15 percent on my car insurance." (I just made that one up, so they better send me a royalty check if they use it).\nI guess I should stop complaining -- wins are far too precious to come by these days. But the emptiness of the victory was best felt in the stands at Assembly Hall, which did its best to resemble Memorial Stadium with its rows and rows of empty seats. There were full sections of 15 consecutive seats without a butt in them.\nGranted, the opening tip-off time of 6 p.m. was not a good one. Lots of students still have classes at that time, myself included. (I hope this column works in lieu of a doctor's note). Anyone coming from out of town would have a hard time getting to Bloomington in time if they got off work at 5.\nBut I bet you everyone involved would have had a much easier time showing up if the Hoosiers were competing for a Big Ten title, or even an NCAA berth. Even those that did show up were far from lively. \nFor most of the game, the crowd sounded as enthused as one watching an event on the Senior PGA Tour without Chi Chi. (Or as it as now known, the "Champions Tour," as if we aren't supposed to know these guys are really old). As a matter of fact, I actually saw a guy in section HH that fell asleep during the first half. And not just a gentle snooze. This dude was lights out, like Marshall Strickland's shooting.\nAnd that was a truly beautiful thing to watch (Strickland's shooting, not the guy sleeping). With Bracey Wright still in a slump, it is good to see someone else was able to step up and lead the team to a win offensively.\nEven more refreshing was watching George Leach make a clutch play, as he sent the Wolverines packing on their final-shot attempt of the game, much like UConn's Emeka Okeafor did against Villanova last weekend, although maybe not quite as dramatic. And the fact that he nailed both of his free throws to seal the deal, considering Wright had missed both of his 10 seconds earlier? Whoa.\nBut the best part of all of this was giving Michigan's tournament bubble a fairly large poke. Hopefully, the loss will allow Michigan coach Tommy Amaker to sit down and reconsider his wardrobe, though. \nLet's make it clear I am in no way qualified to be the Indiana Daily Student fashion columnist. The same red and black fleece pullover has been the staple of my wardrobe for six years. I was nominated for the "Worst dressed in IDS newsroom" award last semester, though, like Bill Murray, I was gypped out of the prize.\nBut a sport coat over a polo shirt? Tommy, you're not a used car salesman. I know you can do better. \nOn a serious note, it's sad seeing IU playing the role of spoiler, which they will be doing against Wisconsin Saturday. In fact, it's a game IU must win if it wants to assure itself of a bid to the Little Dance.\nConsidering IU's last game against the Badgers was a 79-45 nightmare, it doesn't look like a good bet.\nOne can only hope coming off a win will translate into a better effort this time around, or more than one person will be using the game for naptime.