Final performance of jazz band

Concert season closes with 'West Side Story' piece

IU's jazz band will perform its final single concert tonight at the Musical Arts Center. The band will be performing music from "West Side Story" and other pieces. The group, which is led by world-famous IU Professor David Baker, will also perform "Eye of the Hurricane" by Herbie Hancock and "Sunfest" and "Miami Nights" from Baker's "Miami Suite."\nHowever, 10 selections from "West Side Story," including favorites like "Maria," "Tonight," and "I Feel Pretty," are the focus of the concert, said Baker. The music, which was written by Leonard Bernstein, was arranged by Johnny Richards for the Stan Kenton orchestra in the 1960s.\n"I am amazed at how Johnny Richards was able to evoke the emotion (of the music)," Baker said. "You can really hear the words (from the song) in your mind."\nThis year's top jazz band is one of the few Baker has worked with that he believes can pull off a piece as difficult as "West Side Story."\n"I thought we'd do something a little spectacular," he said. "This piece is very demanding. This was the first band in a long time capable of this music."\nThe band contains the most talented jazz musicians on the IU campus. A small from within the band was recently the co-winner of the Downbeat small group award. Downbeat is a magazine featuring jazz and jazz musicians. \nMembers of the band are also very excited to be performing "West Side Story" for their concert, despite the challenges that come along with playing the music.\n"It is extremely challenging. I don't know another group at IU that's done something this big," two-year member, baritone sax player senior Jeff Suzda said. "The brass players are definitely being put to the test. They sound amazing. It's just so exciting … I'm at a loss for words."\nOther members of the band are also excited to be able to play under the direction of Baker.\n"It's quite an honor," said lead trumpeter and senior Joesph Auty. "David is very famous, both in Bloomington and worldwide … he's a top-of-the-run guy and a class act."\nBaker urges people to attend the concert.\n"This is a golden opportunity for anybody who likes "West Side Story" or (Stan) Kenton's band or is a supporter of our band," he said. "It's a very, very good band, and it's been a good season for us. We're just very excited about closing the season with this piece."\nThe concert begins at 8 p.m. tonight in the Musical Arts Center and is free and open to the public. \n-- Contact staff writer Jenny Kobiela at jkobiela@indiana.edu.