Monday, June 17

Black rocks 'n' rolls his way to DVD

From the director who brought you the beer-soaked '70s stoner saga "Dazed and Confused" comes this tale of a wannabe rock star who educates a group of privileged fifth graders about the glory that is rock music. Dewey Finn, the frenetic Jack Black overtakes the childrens' classroom by pretending to be his substitute teaching roommate, and begins fashioning a rock band from their disparate musical talents. In order to do this he must first teach these children, who've all been raised in uptight, classical-music-only families, the importance of the classic rock 'n' roll of the '60s and '70s.\nRarely does a film hedge all its bets on the talent of actor, but Linklater trusts that Black's rare brand of supercharged, madman comedy will keep viewers entertained for two full hours. Thankfully, Black delivers. Anyone familiar with his work as frontman of Tenacious D, or with that duo's short-lived HBO series, knows what a force of nature he can be. No matter how endearing or delightful the children in "School of Rock" get, Black outshines them at every turn, rendering this film nearly a one man show.\nDisc extras include amusing commentary by Black and director Richard Linklater, as well as a rather unneeded commentary track featuring the film's child stars. Also featured are the hilariously deadpan "MTV Diary of Jack Black" and Black's own plea to the remaining members of Led Zeppelin, in which he publically begs for the rights to feature the band's classic 1970 track, "Immigrant Song," in the film.\nOther than Black himself, the film's best feature is its soundtrack. Tracks from The Who, The Doors, Cream, Led Zeppelin, The Darkness, T Rex and The Ramones are employed to great effect, and the kids' band, fronted by Black, offers up an original song, as well as a hard-charging AC/DC cover. Give this film a look, and raise your goblet of rock.