Around The Arts

Boxcar Books presents poetry readings\nBloomington's Boxcar Books will host a weekend of poetry kicking off at 7 p.m. Friday with an Acoustic Women Showcase, presenting local singer/songwriters. The showcase features Denise Dill, Sara Downey, Sarah Graub, Serene Peterson, Morgan Stewart and Allison Williams. Poetry readings continue at 7 p.m. Saturday (admission with donation requested) with poets from Lexington, Ky., Brooklyn, N.Y. and Bloomington. A few performers include Anna Moschavakis, a Brooklyn poet who works with Ugly Duckling Press; Edmund Berrigan, the author of "Disarming Matter" and "In the Dream Hole" who works with The Loudmouth Collective; Christopher Harter, a Bloomington poet and editor of "Bathtub Gin" and founder of Pathwise Press. Boxcar Books is located at 310 S. Washington St. For more information, contact Ali Haimson at 339-8710.\nA musical taste of spring on bells \nOrganist and Carillonneur of the Culver Academies John Gouwens will perform at a guest recital at 4 p.m. Sunday at the Arthur R. Metz Memorial Carillon. The carillon is located on the corner of Jordan Avenue and 17th Street. Come and enjoy festive spring music from the bells of the carillon. A tour of the carillon and an opportunity to meet the artist will follow the program. This program is funded by the Arthur R. Metzo Foundation. There will also be a master class at 10 a.m. Saturday at the School of Music Carillon, located atop the Music Annex building. The class is free and open to anyone interested.\nBPP holds auditions for one-time show \nThe Bloomington Playwright's Project will hold auditions for its production of "It's All Good" at 6 p.m. Sunday and Monday at the BPP, located at 314 S. Washington St.\nThe play, by Marta Jasicki, will be presented for a one-time only performance from 12:30 to 2 p.m. April 24 during the Performathon in the Lora Shiner Studio at the BPP. The production provides a humorous, ironic, musical appreciation of the path toward self-awareness. It manages to poke fun at both religion and science, yet embraces all things that contributing to the great process of human life, while engaging the audience through trivia games and improvisation. For more information, contact Renee Reed at 219-0371 or volta_girl@yahoo.com, or Marta Jasicki at 339-2925 or martajasicki@hotmail.com. \nBloomington plays the blues\nRhythm and Blues musicians Jenn Christy and Paradox (a former Mellencamp singer), Greta Post and the band Extra Blue Kind will play at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Admission is $10 for general admission. Extra Blue Kind is a former local band and was voted best band in Indianapolis by www.Indianapolismusic.net. The band won a battle of the bands prize package that included a spot on a bill featuring Stone Temple Pilots, Kid Rock and Chevelle and released their latest CD in February, "The Pill Bug Stories," which features "Leave Everything," "Walk Slowly" and "Hiding In The Walls." For more information about Saturday's concert, contact Danielle McClelland at 323-3022.