Around The Arts

BPP plans auditions for two series\nThe Bloomington Playwrights Project will hold auditions for its Dark Alley Series production of "Sex/Death II" from 6 to 9 p.m. today and Friday, March 5 at the Bloomington Playwrights Project in the Lora Shiner Studio on 314 S. Washington St. No monologue necessary. Contact co-producer Gilana Alpert at (812) 336-4396 or email galpert@indiana.edu for more information. \nThe Project is also auditioning for the Mainstage Series "Patty Red Pants" from 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday, March 7; 5 to 7 p.m. Monday, March 8; and callbacks are from 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesday, March 9. For this show, the production is looking to cast two females (to play 13-,15- and 26-year-olds); one male (to play 13-,15- and 26-year-olds). For more information, please contact director Amanda Renee Baker at (812) 323-8792 or ambaker@indiana.edu.

Noted historian to visit IU for lecture series\nThe IU Department of Theatre and Drama has invited professor and theater historian Don B. Wilmeth as the guest lecturer for the Collins Lecture Series, to be held at 5 p.m. March 8 and 9 in the Ruth N. Halls Theatre. His Monday lecture is titled "Prelude to a New Millennium: American Theatre, World War II to 2000" and "American Memory: The Variety Stage, 1870-1920," Tuesday. Wilmeth is the Asa Messer professor emeritus at Brown University, is professor of theater and English emeritus, and immediate past chair of the Department of Speech, Theatre and Dance there. Wilmeth specializes in American and British theater, particularly the 19th century, and has written a number of books that focus on popular entertainment/theater. Most recently, he has worked on John Webster's "The Duchess of Malfi", Corneille's "The Illusion," adapted by Tony Kushner, Sweeney Todd and Candide.

U of Wisconsin to present puppet play\nA puppet troupe from the University of Wisconsin's Taiwanese Student Association will perform at IU at 8 p.m. Saturday, March 6 in Lecture Hall A201 at the Neal Marshall Black Culture Center, located on 275 N. Jordan Ave. The puppet play, "Grandaunt Tiger," is adapted from a Taiwanese Folk Tale and performed in English. Admission is free and free bubble tea will be served.

'Sones de Mexico' to bring Mexican music\nThe Lotus Blossoms and the Lotus Concert Series presents Sones de Mexico, a Chicago-based six-member ensemble that specializes in the Mexican music tradition of son and its many regional styles. The ensemble will perform at 7:30 p.m., Friday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater on 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. Tickets are $5 for general admission and children 12 and under are admitted free. Sones de Mexico plays on more than 25 folk string, percussion and wind instruments; sings lively four-part vocal arrangements; and includes acrobatic dance demonstrations. For more information, call (812) 323-3020.