No early ending in sight for stalemate over gay marriage

Indiana GOP still vying for amendment

INDIANAPOLIS -- Dispute over a proposed state constitutional ban on gay marriage spilled into a third day in the Indiana House, with Democrats and Republicans showing no early signs of ending the stalemate.\nRepublicans want a chance to advance the proposal, saying the sanctity of traditional marriage is at stake. Democratic leaders have blocked their efforts, claiming a state law banning gay marriage is sufficient.\nDemocrats arranged to have a gay minister give the opening prayer in the chamber Thursday morning, and as he spoke, a few Republicans raised their heads and their eyebrows.\n"Help these distinguished leaders, these patriots, these good people, these statesmen and stateswomen here today find the right balance between representing the will of the majority and protecting unpopular minorities from the tyranny of the masses," said the Rev. Jeff Miner, pastor of Jesus Metropolitan Community Church of Indianapolis.\nMiner told reporters afterward that the church has the largest predominantly gay and lesbian congregation in the Midwest and performs same-sex marriages even though the state does not legally recognize them.\nMonday, when the standoff began, an evangelist from northwest Indiana said during the opening prayer according to God's word, marriage is between a man and a woman.\nA few minutes after the House convened Thursday, Republicans asked for a recess so they could meet privately to discuss matters.\nMeanwhile, a group of gay activist Democrats planned a friendly demonstration in opposition to the Republican stand outside of a Kittles Furniture store in Indianapolis. It is owned by state GOP Chairman Jim Kittle.\n"We need to place the punch where it hurts Republicans most -- in their bottom line," the Indiana Stonewall Democrats said in a news release announcing the planned protest. They asked members to be there at noon, 5, 5:30 and 6 p.m. -- all times when local network affiliates have live news shows.\nMark Lotter, communications director for the state Republican Party, said Kittle is a "champion of diversity," and he has neither made public statements about gay marriage nor lobbied lawmakers on the subject.\n"It is disgraceful that Democrats are willing to spread completely inaccurate information about Chairman Kittle," Lotter said.\nThe dispute kept the House in virtual gridlock Wednesday, when events seemed only to widen the rift.\nRepublicans walked off the floor three times after Democratic House Speaker Patrick Bauer denied them a chance to advance the gay marriage proposal or bring it up for debate. Little was accomplished in the short periods both parties were in the chamber Wednesday.\nRepublicans accused Bauer of arrogance, but the speaker defended his actions, saying floor debate over gay marriage could last for hours and turn ugly.\nGov. Joe Kernan backed his Democratic colleagues in the House, saying state law already bans gay marriage, and he accused Republicans of stalling action on other matters.\n"If the plan is for them to stay out for the next eight days, between now and the scheduled end of the session, then they ought to quit wasting taxpayers' money and just go home tonight," Kernan said Wednesday.\nDemocrats claimed dozens of bills were derailed since Wednesday was the deadline for House and Senate to amend bills from the other chamber. But Republicans said they considered the bills alive because Bauer could simply move back the deadline.\nIt was arguable how much was really at stake, since several major proposals passed by each chamber already have been rejected in the other. Technically, any bill that passes one house can be revived in conference committee negotiations next week.\nAfter the third walkout Wednesday evening, the House adjourned until 10 a.m. EST Thursday.\nThe House, which Democrats control 51-49, came to a standstill Monday as Republicans sought a vote to override Bauer's decision to shelve the proposed amendment. It had passed with bipartisan support in the GOP-controlled Senate.