Monday, June 17

'Masked and Anonymous' meandering

"Masked and Anonymous" could well be the most fascinating train wreck I've ever witnessed. Featuring a stunning and seemingly neverending cast, and co-written by a true geniuses of our time (Bob Dylan), the story centers loosely around the organization of a benefit concert which is somehow the focus of the entire post-apocalyptic dystopia in which the film is based. \nAlmost from the first frame, things go the way of most tracks on Dylan's 1966 masterpiece Blonde on Blonde, in which there are thousands of ideas without focus; concepts without coherence; flashes of genius without relevance. While this formula always worked brilliantly on Dylan records, it certainly doesn't work on film. The actors seem lost, and it's obvious that they're only part of this project out of a deep reverence for the screenwriter. \nThere are no hidden, cryptic revelations here as in David Lynch films. The script meanders from one bizarre encounter to the next, and before long it becomes clear the only one who has any idea what's going on in the script or onscreen is Dylan himself.\nThe DVD is not without its positive aspects, including an inspired soundtrack and extended musical performances by Dylan and his backing band featuring mostly original songs. When all is said and done, the general awfulness of the film is nearly redeemed by the grainy, still-haunting world-weariness of Dylan's voice. Any serious Dylan fan would be wise to rent "Masked and Anonymous" out of sheer curiosity.