Why are so many films overlooked?

In the last few days, nominations for both the Oscars and the Razzies were announced, but depending on your point of view, some people may not see much of a difference.\nComing off of last year, which was filled with such obvious Oscar contenders as "Chicago," "The Pianist" and "Adaptation," we all knew it was going to be difficult for this year's nominees to come anything close to last year's selections. No matter what your taste in films, it seems like in every category, there is a film left out or one that doesn't deserve a nomination.

Best Picture\nThe year, it seems as though the academy picked films with the best publicists instead of choosing the best films of the year. "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" and "Seabiscuit" nabbed nominations despite mixed critical reviews. In my opinion, neither film deserves an Oscar. Both of them were very well done, but seemed a little contrived -- as if they went out and said, "Let's try to win an Oscar." "Lost in Translation" gets a spot it deserves, but sadly the academy never nominates more than one independent film. This takes away a spot away from "In America," which in my opinion was one of the best films this year. Still, "Lost in Translation" is better. "Mystic River" fills the obligatory murder drama spot. Still, odds are the Oscar will go to "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." Not only did director Peter Jackson sweep the Golden Globes, but the academy will most likely give him a statuette for his work with the entire trilogy, not just the third film.

Best Actor\nThis year's biggest surprise would have to be Johnny Depp's nomination for "Pirates of the Caribbean." His turn as Captain Jack Sparrow is Oscar-worthy just because he turned a film with a mediocre script into one of this year's biggest blockbusters. Plus, anybody who bases their character on the drunken slurring of Keith Richards deserves some respect. Predictably, Jude Law, Ben Kingsley and Sean Penn all received nominations they deserve. Kingsley will most likely be overlooked just because "The House of Sand and Fog" wasn't that great as a film itself. Paul Giamatti gets overlooked for his peformance in "American Splendor," another great independent film that gets overshadowed by "Lost in Translation." If I was going to bet money on the nominations, I'd pick Bill Murray for "Lost in Translation," but if I had my way, Depp would receive the award. We need to honor good acting, plain and simple, not just the best dramatic performance.

Best Actress\nThis category is packed with nominees who all seem to be on the same level. The only big surprise about these nominees is that Nicole Kidman was overlooked for "Cold Mountain." Still, with the strength of the other actresses, plus the fact that she won the award last year, it's not that big of a deal. Diane Keaton gets a nomination for a mediocre performance in the mediocre film, "Something's Gotta Give." The race seems to be between Charlize Theron for "Monster" and Naomi Watts for "21 Grams," but I think Samantha Morton should be considered as well for her emotional break through in "In America."

Best Supporting Actor/Actress\nThis is where things get tough. It's difficult to pick a clear winner just because all of these performers have their own acting styles. For supporting actor, I'd go with either Benicio Del Toro for "21 Grams" or Djimon Hounsou for "In America." For supporting actress, Holly Hunter deserves it for "Thirteen," but the award will most likely go to Renee Zellweger for "Cold Mountain," just because she's been overlooked so many times.

Best Director\nTim Burton really should have been recognized for "Big Fish." Despite any flaws with the film, Burton's visual appeal can't be overlooked. As he usually does, he turned a rather flat script into an emotionally engaging film. Anthony Minghella was also cheated for "Cold Mountain." Odds are Peter Jackson will take home the award, but Sofia Coppola may also have a shot for "Lost in Translation." I wouldn't pick Coppola just because I still can't forgive her for messing up "The Godfather: Part III"