Popular musical to bring Austrian Alps to IU

12-year-old performer enjoys life on the road

Unlike many children who vaguely ponder what their future holds, Christina Jackson, 12, already has a head start on her future. \nJackson went from being a typical seventh-grader in Cincinnati, taking music lessons and performing in children's theater, to acting in a national touring show, "The Sound of Music."\nJackson plays Brigetta, the third youngest daughter in the von Trapp family from the musical, which visits the IU Auditorium Jan. 20 through Jan. 22.\nAfter a whirlwind audition in New York, when Jackson and her family discovered an acquaintance was a casting director, Jackson had four days to say goodbye to her friends, get out of her local theater engagements and pack her bags before joining the cast for rehearsals.\nSet in Salzburg, Austria during the late 1930s, the musical is based on the true story of Maria Rainer. After proving herself too high-spirited for the religious life, she is dispatched to serve as governess for the seven children of the widowed naval Captain von Trapp. Over time, the von Trapps come to love Maria and she marries the captain and becomes mother to his children. Upon returning from their honeymoon they discover the Nazis have invaded Austria and have demanded the Captain's immediate service in their navy. The show follows the family as they come together and try to find a way to escape the Nazis. \nFamily ties are not simply important on stage, however. Behind the scenes, Jackson's mother tours with her around the country. \nHer mother helps her keep up with her classmates back home with one-on-one lessons in between rehearsals, performances and long bus trips.\n"It's fun (going on tour with my mom) and she helps me stay organized," Jackson said. "I think we've become great friends over this."\nDespite the support she receives from her parents, touring is not always easy. \n"Living off of two suitcases is (the hardest thing)," Jackson said. "And it's hard to be away from home for so long."\nBut she is never alone -- and even though she leaves behind her brother and her friends, she has made many friends through the show.\n"It's really fun to be with so many people and we're all like friends," Jackson said. "We're around each other every hour of every day, but most of the time we get along great." \nHer perception is shared by company manager Walter Milani. \n"(The cast) is great. We call it the "Brady Bunch" cast because they are all so clean cut," Milani said. "I've done a lot of shows and this one is a pleasure. The warmth felt by the cast and crew may be due to the nature of this story which is a family tradition to many."\nThe original production of "The Sound of Music" premiered in 1959. The production won seven Tony Awards, including Best Musical, and ran for 1,443 performances. In 1965, a film version was released, earning five Academy Awards, including Best Picture. \n"It brings back memories from my childhood. I think it was the first musical I ever saw and I remember enjoying it," Milani said. "It made quite an impression on me."\nCheryl Crouch, auxillary marketing services executive director, agrees with Milani.\n"I have fond memories of the show. The first time I saw [it] we took my mom to see it for Mother's Day," she said. "I purchased tickets for her for her birthday to the show at IU Auditorium. I think people have enjoyed seeing the show several times because of the music and the show's happy ending. Rogers and Hammerstein's wrote such great musicals and "The Sound of Music" is one of their best."\nCrouch said she also enjoys the show's appeal to all ages.\n"It's a great show for the whole family," Crouch said. "My 14-year-old stepdaughter loves the show and the music, so it's great to have something we can attend together and enjoy."\nAlthough Jackson said she enjoys the year off from school to play Brigetta, she plans on returning home in time for eighth grade and high school. \nJackson still has many goals for herself and a world of possibilities to explore. \n"I would like to go into acting (when I'm older) but what I'd really like to do is be a country singer," she said. "I've been taking guitar for about a year." \nUntil then, she plans on enjoying her first national tour and her audience in Bloomington.\n"It's a really great musical. There's a lot of great music and it even helps you learn how to sing using 'do-re-mi'," Jackson said. "It's a great story line because you go through Maria's life and you know what she's going through. The actors who play the parts really take you on the ride with them"