Monday, June 17

Give the suits some credit

A midst the surprising turnaround of the IU men's basketball team, many theories about the improvement of this 10-6 overall, 4-1 record in the Big Ten team developed.\nFirst of all was the return of senior center George Leach. Leach's large fingerprints are all over the improvement of this team. From his defensive prowess in the middle to that not-so-visually-appealing but effective hook shot, Leach has propelled IU from a potential bottom dweller in the Big Ten to a potential champion.\nMarshall Strickland's offensive game has exploded over the past few weeks as well. Against Temple on Jan. 3, I didn't think Strickland could throw a basketball into Showalter Fountain much less a basket in Assembly Hall. \nStrickland has proven this writer and many fans wrong by returning to his diaper-dandy status as a freshman. Strickland has taken some of the glare of the spotlight off of Bracey Wright and has excelled offensively with Donald Perry sharing the point guard duties.\nBut behind the team's four-game winning streak sits the much-maligned coaching staff, most notably Mike Davis and John Treloar. Ever since IU was embarrassed by Wisconsin on Jan. 6 and then went to Michigan and upset the Wolverines, this team has had a different feel, a different swagger.\nDavis and Treloar deserve credit for this team's turnaround.\nWhat a difference the week in between the Wisconsin and Michigan games made. Gone is the 'deer in the headlights' look that Davis is always complaining about. It was replaced by a look of confidence in themselves and their coaches.\nOne wonders what happened in that week of practice.\nIU's defense is much-improved over earlier in the season, and Treloar mainly handles the defensive end of the court. While Leach's return has vastly improved the defense, IU's guards have maintained good ball pressure and forced opponents to pick a side to play offense.\nEarlier in the year, I swear there was an "enter here" sign with an arrow pointing towards the basket displayed across the free throw line on the end of the court where IU was playing defense.\nTreloar deserves some credit for this improvement. And don't forget about Dane Fife. While Fife has the administrative assistant nameplate in the front of his cubicle, this team is starting to take on Fife's personality: a 'whatever it takes to get it done' attitude.\nDavis has done a good job of holding this team together when it might've looked like the season was lost after the Wisconsin disaster. He's reigned in the troops and inspired confidence and aggressiveness in this sometimes 'soft' team.\nAlthough his NBA-style offense drives me nuts at times, the Hoosiers are finding ways to light up the scoreboard. In Saturday's Minnesota win, IU couldn't miss in the first half. A.J. Moye looked like Larry Legend; Leach like Kareem.\nWith 10 minutes left in the first half, IU was on pace to score 120 points. Does the scoreboard in the old Barn in Minneapolis go that high?\nThe shooting eventually cooled off, but this team has newfound confidence, along with a four-game winning streak.\nPerhaps the men in the suits had a little something to do with it.