These boys ain't dead yet

If you haven't heard of Rocket from the Tombs, you might know the two punk bands that its members went on to form: Pere Ubu and The Dead Boys. While RFTT lived and died in mid-'70s Cleveland before anyone had heard of The Ramones, their intense guitar-driven rock is generally considered a major influence on later punk bands.\nThe Dec. 1 show at the Bluebird was perhaps not what punk fans regaled with myths of mid-'70s pre-punk legends Rocket from the Tombs would expect. \nWithout ceremony or introduction, a large, bearded man wearing a mauve jacket and an aloof air took his place at the center microphone. This was David Thomas, formerly known in the Cleveland pre-punk scene as Crocus Behemoth. \nWhile no one would expect a screaming, moshing, out-of-control performance at a RFTT concert, this show was perhaps even more laid-back than anticipated. Thomas did not provide much showmanship, speaking little and sitting on a chair at center stage between his singing parts, resting his hands on a cane, his eyes closed.\nBut fans did not need witty between-songs banter or theatrics to be enthusiastic about this show. What Thomas and the rest of RFTT did provide was solid, straight-to-the-chase rock and roll. \nAlthough the crowd was small at no more than around 80 people, it was apparent every person at the Bluebird that night had long anticipated this reunion tour. A few danced at the front of the stage, punching their fists into the air during choruses. Most, however, stood and enjoyed hearing the pre-punk legends' songs live for the first time.\nAccompanying Thomas' tenor vocals were original RFTT guitarist Cheetah Chrome (Gene O'Connor) and bassist Craig Bell, who also switched off on vocals. The void left by late members Peter Laughner and John Madansky was filled by the unhinged solos of Television guitarist Richard Lloyd and chest-rattling drumming from Pere Ubu's Steve Mehlman.\nThis new incarnation of Rocket from the Tombs is touring in support of the first official album release of their only studio recordings, Rocket Redux, due early next year. Before this new project, the world could only hear RFTT on bootleg demos and two rare compilations of demos and radio broadcasts. \nWith the inclusion of RFTT songs later released by Pere Ubu as well as tracks previously available only as bootlegs, Monday night's show was a rare treat for '70s rock aficionados and new fans alike.