Hoosiers headed to championship

Yates' header in double-OT breaks scoreless tie; team will face St. John's Sunday

On a bitter cold night in Columbus, Ohio, the Hoosiers earned Jerry Yeagley his 543rd career victory -- and the chance to get one more.\nPat Yates broke a scoreless tie in the fourth minute of the second overtime when he took a lob from midfielder Brian Plotkin six yards out and headed it past Santa Clara keeper Kent Harkness into the top left corner of the goal.\nThe No. 8 Hoosiers (16-3-5) will now face No. 6 St. John's (17-5-3) in a rematch of the 2001 semifinal match of the College Cup -- a game which IU won 2-1. The Hoosiers went on to lose to North Carolina in the championship game 2-0.\nIU and Santa Clara both began the semifinal game at a hard, fast pace, but struggled to get the finishing touch on their possessions. IU goalkeeper Pat Nolly made five saves, including a diving stop of Will Weatherly's desperation volley at the end of regulation that ensured the Hoosiers would have the chance to win in overtime.\nHarkness, who made seven saves before allowing Yates' game-winner, is the backup to Steve Cronin, who is the starting keeper for the U.S. Men's U-20 National Team. Earlier Friday, the U-20 team lost to Argentina 2-1, meaning IU could get its representatives on the team -- midfielder Ned Grabavoy and defender Drew Moor -- back for the game against St. John's. Earlier Friday, in the other College Cup semifinal game, St. John's defeated Marland 1-0. The Red Storm's only goal came on a penalty kick in the 35th minute.\nThe championship game will kick off 2 p.m. Friday at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. The game will be televised live on ESPN2.\nGame notes: IU took 13 shots, 8 on goal. Santa Clara took 12 shots, 5 on goal. Brian Plotkin and Julian Dieterle earned yellow cards for the Hoosiers. Matt Upton, Audren Cashman and Kelechi Igwe earned yellow cards for the Broncos. Junior midfielder Danny O'Rourke played in front of a hometown crowd Friday, as O'Rourke is originally from Columbus.