Writer to speak about new book

Author Diane S. Bauden will read from and discuss "A Saving Solace," her new book about two women's struggles with loss and love, at 7:45 p.m. tonight in the Oak Room at the IMU. \n"I've always written since I could remember," Bauden said. "I used to write poetry, short stories and even created my own mad libs as a child. I always had fun exploring the inside of my head and writing was definitely a way for me to do that."\nBauden, who lives in Chicago with her partner of 10 years, said she has noticed that certain themes are common in her writing.\n"My main goal is to write about topics or situations that people can relate to. If no one can get into what you're saying, they're not going to enjoy what they're reading. I touch on love and soul mates, but I also write about common everyday life issues such as abandonment, death and loss," Bauden said.\nBauden's newest book, "A Saving Solace," fits that mold. It tells the story of two women: Kelly Cavanaugh, who deals with the death of her mother, and Susan McGovern, who struggles with the issue of abandonment after being rejected by her family because she is a lesbian. As a result of their losses, each has a fear of letting anyone get close to her. The book follows both women's struggles to love again, and details how they ultimately obtain that love from each other.\nBauden lists "A Saving Solace" as her favorite work, because she says the inspiration for it was so personal.\n"The death of my mother was … part of my inspiration for writing 'A Saving Solace.' Her fight against ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis or Lou Gehrig's Disease) was something I will never forget," she said. "I watched her deteriorate for two years and was with her the night she took her last breath … After watching her battle, I felt the least I could do was immortalize parts of her story to perhaps comfort others who had to care for a sick parent."\nBauden said she is looking forward to speaking at IU because of all the opportunities it offers.\n"I wanted to speak on a college campus because it gives me the opportunity to reach a lot of different people with different perspectives and backgrounds in one place."\nBauden also said she feels everyone could benefit from hearing her speak, even though she writes about same-sex relationships, because of the universality of the book's themes.\n"There are themes and plots that everyone can relate to in one way or another. When I watch a show on television or read a book, it's not the character's sexuality that interests me. It's the story and the representation of those characters," she said.\nAnn Wesley, Bauden's publicist and graduate of the IU School of Journalism, said she agrees with the sentiment that students and other residents of Bloomington would enjoy listening to what Bauden has to say.\n"Everyone can gain from listening to Diane," Wesley said. "Not just students, but adults as well. All of the themes in her books revolve around family relationships, such as a child caring for her mother."\nDoug Bauder, the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Support Services Coordinator, said he feels it is important for students not only to focus on these universal issues, but also to hear about them from someone with Bauden's perspective as a lesbian.\nBauder also said it is important students focus on how the two protagonists of the story deal with their grief.\n"In our society we ignore grief too often," Bauder said, "and doing so creates all kinds of problems."\nBauden is the author of two other novels, "Nurturing Souls" and "A Sacrifice for Friendship." She is currently working on a fourth novel.\nHer appearance at IU is sponsored by the GLBT Support Center and OUT. It is free and open to the public. Bauden will also read and lead a discussion at 2 p.m. Saturday at Out Word Bound Books in Indianapolis. For more information, visit www.dsbauden.com.\n-- Contact staff writer Jamie Swhier at jswhier@indiana.edu.