Series presents classic films to modern generation

'Old Hollywood' feel returns to the Buskirk-Chumley

In the era of HBO, DVDs and MP3s, Americans have the means to enjoy a classic Hollywood film in the comfort of their homes. But once upon a time, the only place to catch a movie in Bloomington was downtown at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. With the creation of the Golden Age of Hollywood film series and the renovation of the theater, the golden age of Hollywood has returned to Bloomington.\nThe series, which began in October, is designed to recreate the experience of going to the movies during the 1930s through the 1950s, a period known as "The Golden Age of Hollywood." The next film in the series is "The Awful Truth" at 1:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave.\nSenior Sara Rotz compares the sexual overtones of older films to the present.\n"In the 1930s to the 1950s, the movies made sexual innuendos, but they were not as obvious as current films," Rotz said.\nThe department of Communication and Culture has worked with the Bloomington Adult Community Center, Bloomington Parks and Recreation, the Buskirk-Chumley Theater and the Evergreen Institute to provide the opportunity to view vintage Hollywood films the way they were originally seen. Belltrace Senior Living Community and the Internal Medicine Institute contributed financial support for the series.\n"By recreating the experience of movie-going from the 1930s through the 1950s, these matinees should hold a special appeal for older members of the Bloomington community, but movie fans of all ages will enjoy seeing Hollywood classics on the big screen once again," CMCL professor Chris Anderson said.\nAlthough the film series targets older Bloomington, it also attracts a significant number of undergraduate students, most of whom have never seen a classic Hollywood film at a theater.\n"They're discovering how special it is to see classic Hollywood movies with an audience, on the big screen, and in a theater that was made to show these movies," Anderson said. "For students who have only seen classic Hollywood movies on a television screen or in a lecture hall on campus, seeing them at the BCT brings back the magic back to these movies."\nAnderson said the older Bloomington community is often under-served by the University, but this film series is an attempt to reverse that trend.\n"In creating the series, we wanted to build a bridge between the campus and the community by making this unique resource -- IU's David Bradley Film Collection -- available to them," Anderson said.\nGraduate student Justin Rosales has watched older and more modern films.\n"There are advantages in watching both older and more modern films," Rosales said. "Earlier films had deeper meanings that you really had to watch closely in order to pick up the main point, but movies of today are driven more by action and special effects. While modern movies depend on the latest technology, older movies have that element that can only be captured by a theater."\n"Top Hat" will also show at 1:30 p.m., Dec. 17 at the BCT. The series will resume in the spring with a film showing at 1:30 p.m. on the second Wednesday of every month at the Buskirk. For more information see www.buskirkchumley.org.\n-- Contact staff writer Joshua Hamm at jodhamm@indiana.edu.