Monday, June 17

Protesters pooped while pissed

Since the millennium, skepticism seems to be the most identifiable ideological state among collegiates. Many have given up radical causes to focus on their uncertain futures, winding enigmatically in front of them through a clouded haze of economic oscillation, a jumbled job market and war still pending in the Middle East. Even at Berkeley, the result is a more passive campus with fewer student activists.\nBut there is still one avenue whereby students express their views unrestrained, a freely available forum that has lingered like an unworthy cause that refuses to die. Debate, instead of rearing its head in public places, has retreated to the most private, constrained cubicles of controversy which beckon to the bowels of idealism. This hidden forum is utilized only by those who possess a keen eye, a little luck and, most importantly, the uncontrollable need to have a movement in Morrison Hall near the Hoagie Carmichael Room. \nThe stall door is like a written history -- a jumble of scribbles written over a half-transparent layer of white paint over yet another set of scribbled messages. Looking closer, many of the messages are more than random wise cracks, fraternity emblems and dirty poems (though, admittedly, lots are). On this wall the most offensive remnants of collegiate controversy pass like a La Bamba's burrito and are flushed into the open. What follows is a brief summary of the more important points:\nJudging from the sheer number of entries on the subject, the greek-independent rivalry remains the No. 1 issue among students on campus. Indeed, this rivalry is particularly interesting as it led John Whittenberger, class of 1911, to suggest the establishment of a student union after witnessing the greek vs. independent "bullfights" that took place in Dunn Meadow in the early 20th century.\nOne argument against fraternities was scribbled nearly illegibly saying, "FIJI is the biggest bunch of fags I've ever come across. I'd almost rather live in Collins than hang out with them."\nTo which another writer asked, "Why do people hate greeks so much?"\nA follow-up comment read, "Because the 'comradery' inherent in your 'system' is a greek-imposed façade masking the true meaning behind what you stand for -- that being corruption, malice and sodomy."\nAnother student answered, "I've never heard of anything involving corruption or malice going on in my house."\nAnd so on.\nThe next most prominent series of comments, which vehemently debated the existence of God, began, "Jesus will save you from your sins. One day he will return to Earth. Please accept him."\nThis led to an argument about the scientific and biblical validity of the Big Bang Theory and a debate on whether or not Jesus actually descended from David as predicted in the Bible. The theological battle ended with a line containing several crossed out words which read, "God is dead not not dead real alive!"\nIt's unfortunate that the most controversial subjects on campus are discussed in the middle of an obscene act, yet perhaps this noxious act is the catalyst during which students are finally willing to express their most pungent opinions. The urge to add to the writing on the wall might come from the assuredness of anonymity associated with a short stay in nature's penalty box. Whatever the reason, on most college campuses, and especially at Indiana, debate rates just below defecation these days.