New best-of disc doesn't 'reveal' true R.E.M.

What R.E.M. is and what R.E.M. was are two different things.\nThey're an album-oriented band. Putting out a best-of album doesn't get close to their real identity.\nOf course, it's the latest thing R.E.M. has done to smudge their real identity in conceding to fame. They've lip-synched in their videos, they've played massive arenas that didn't suit their music and they didn't break up when drummer Bill Berry, a magnificent skinsman long underrated, left the band in 1997.\nThis Warner Brothers summation of their career, which screams contract filler, ignores the gems in the album tracks in favor of the obvious and two new duds, one a rewrite/update of "It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)." "Losing My Religion," "Everybody Hurts" and "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" are all here.\nBut these songs just fulfilled some dilettante's pop jones, not paint an accurate picture. And remember, they'll be playing Third Eye Blind at your high school reunions.\nThere's no harrowing "You Are the Everything," no twangy "Country Feedback" and no glammy, Iggy Pop-honoring "Crush With Eyeliner."\nGet the albums. Start with Automatic for the People. Go from there. That's what R.E.M. was when they were best.