Journalism school honors professor

Friends, students celebrate dedication of Cleve Wilhoit

To celebrate the dedication and commitment of one of the most respected professors in the School of Journalism, a reception dinner was held Saturday for professor G. Cleveland Wilhoit, who primarily taught J110: Foundations of Journalism and Mass Communication and J410: The Media and Social Institutions. Wilhoit announced his retirement in June.\n"He was a major influence -- perhaps the major influence -- on students preparing for careers as scholars and teachers," said Trevor Brown, dean of the School of Journalism. "He taught them the traditions, methods and values of rigorous social-science research, the responsibilities and commitment they must have as teachers and the importance of collegiality in academic life." \nSince professor Wilhoit taught both freshman introductory sources and senior courses, many students entered and left the school through Wilhoit's classes.\n"I had him second semester of my freshman year," said junior Leslie Silver, a journalism major who attended the reception dinner. "He taught my first journalism class and was really inspiring and very personal. He made the introductory material interesting in the best way he could."\nWilhoit said he strived to make his introductory class as enthusiastic as he could.\n"I thought he was a great professor and he really knew what he was teaching," junior Justin Kohl said.\nBrown said Wilhoit's commitment to his students is what makes him a great professor.\n"He was a marvelous motivator, encouraging students to believe in themselves and their potential and advising and supporting them throughout their years at IU and beyond," Brown said. "He communicated to his students a love for learning and a commitment to the role of the media in this society."\nWilhoit said he thought his best times at IU were spent with the students. \nIn both personal and school matters, Wilhoit said he tried to get to know as many of his students as possible.\nNow that Wilhoit has retired, he said he plans on enjoying his time with his wife and family.\n"We live in Bloomington and I still hope to write and keep in touch with my students," Wilhoit said. \nWilhoit began his career at IU in 1967. He taught for 36 years and taught many courses besides J110 and J410, including C200: Introduction to Mass Communication, a large lecture course that the school offered for non-majors. \n-- Contact staff writer Katie Killebrew at kpkilleb@indiana.edu.