Students prepare for weekend's Dance Marathon

When "Eye of the Tiger" begins to play over the loudspeaker each year and all the dancers come running out on the floor, Stacie England's heart stops, but all of her nerves are calm.\nEngland, IU Dance Marathon president, along with all the other participants in this weekend's 36-hour "marathon," have put in countless hours to ensure a successful event.\nAnd they said they're sure this year's 13th-annual event will go off without a hitch.\nDance Marathon kicks off at 8 p.m. tonight at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation.\nThe benefit will be filled with entertainment for all participants, including many of the families which proceeds are raised for. All donations go to assist the Ryan White Infectious Disease Center at Riley Children's Hospital in Indianapolis.\nThis year, 15 Riley children and their families will be in attendance.\nBecause the event overlaps with Halloween this year, the kids will have a special trick-or-treat session throughout the HPER Saturday morning, England said.\n"We have a bunch of activities for (the dancers) to do like 'Name That Tune' and our own version of 'Singled Out,'" morale committee member Amy Schroeder said. "It's a long weekend and we need to keep everyone interested."\nDave and Ray, Mike and Joe, and Josh Perry are just a few of the 15 bands that agreed to play for the cause. Each group will be performing free of charge and will play either half-hour or one-hour sets at different times over the weekend.\nWhen they aren't out on the dance floor, participants will be eating or involved with all kinds of games. Kilroy's, Roly Poly and Buffa Louie's have donated food for the weekend. \nSeveral people have been invited to come speak at the event, including many previous and current Riley patients.\n"I'm going to talk about how much Dance Marathon helps the hospital and my experience at Riley," said Stacie Thornburgh, a 20-year-old patient.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig and IU President Adam Herbert also plan to give speeches. McKaig is scheduled to speak at midnight Friday and Herbert at 3:45 p.m. Saturday.\nVisitors are encouraged to come see Dance Marathon participants any time free of charge.\n"It's really great to see my friends who aren't part of (Dance Marathon) come out and visit," special events committee member Jacalu Robson said. "It shows that people really care about our cause."\nMany organizations around campus, including fraternities, sororities and the IU Student Foundation will be making their donations over the weekend to boost the grand total. Individual contributions still can be made by cash or check all the way up until the closing ceremony at 8 a.m. Sunday.\nAt that time, the closing ceremony will commence and this year's earnings will be announced.\n"How much money we raised is not nearly as important as the satisfaction from knowing that we've put on an event that allowed wonderful children to come to a college campus and get a taste of what their futures can be," England said. "It's our job to help make sure that these kids have a future."\n-- Contact staff writer Alex Pappas at aspappas@indiana.edu.