on the SIDELINES

Big Ten Tourney in Indy in 2006

Big Ten Tourney in Indy in 2006\nINDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis has been awarded the Big Ten men's basketball tournament for March 9-12, 2006, conference officials announced Sunday.\nThree weeks later, the NCAA Final Four will be held at the RCA Dome in Indianapolis.\nIt will be the third time in six years that the Big Ten men's tournament has come to Conseco Fieldhouse, where the tournament was in 2002 and will return March 11-14, 2004.\nIndianapolis also plays host annually to the Big Ten women's tournament and will host the NCAA Women's Final Four April 3-5, 2005 at the RCA Dome.

Riley resigns as Miami Heat coach\nMIAMI -- His hair is still slicked back, although now tinged with gray. The "Showtime" style he used to win four championships with in the 1980s is a fading memory. His intensity on the sideline just wasn't the same.\nPat Riley resigned as coach of the Miami Heat on Friday, four days before the team he reloaded with young, but largely unproven, talent opens its season.\nRiley will remain as team president, but he turned over the coaching responsibilities to Stan Van Gundy, his top assistant over the past eight years with the Heat.\n"It's not about me today. It really isn't," Riley said. "It's about the Heat and all those season ticket-holders that have bought seats and sponsors that are starting to come out now because of Caron Butler, Dwyane Wade, Lamar Odom and the possibilities of those guys. It isn't because of me.\n"It's time to do this."

Singh wins, now tops on money list\nLAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Vijay Singh took all the drama from the Funai Classic at Disney and pushed it into the final two weeks of the season, winning with ease Sunday to surge past Tiger Woods on the money list.\nSingh quickly broke out of a four-way tie and never let anyone get within two shots of him on the back nine. He finished with another long birdie putt for a 5-under 67 to win by four strokes over Woods, Stewart Cink and Scott Verplank.\nHe won $720,000 for his fourth victory of the year, which left him poised to end Woods' four-year reign of the PGA Tour money title.\nSingh, who finished at 23-under 265, now has a $250,095 lead over Woods and a huge advantage by playing next week in the $4.8 million Chrysler Championship in Tampa. Woods, who already has played eight fewer events, is skipping that tournament.