More Scottish indie pop to hold

Belle & Sebastian, the most beloved of Scottish indie bands, have just released their newest album of sweet, delicate pop tunes. Dear Catastrophe Waitress presents a pleasant '60s pop feel with the surprisingly straightforward, sometimes depressing and always clever lyrics that have become Belle & Sebastian's trademark. \nThat said, Dear Catastrophe Waitress does not see much innovation beyond the band's earlier work. The album begins with weaker songs, except for the snappy opener "Step Into My Office, Baby." Yet, skipping past the disappointing title track, the album begins to gain momentum. Accompaniment varies from the simple acoustic guitar of "Piazza, New York Catcher" to the delicate strings of "Lord Albert." Other highlights include the catchy "Wrapped Up In Books" and "If You Find Yourself Caught in Love," both of which could easily have appeared on the band's earlier albums. Belle & Sebastian tiptoe past their gentle pop formula on "Roy Walker," with its American folk feel, and "Stay Loose," which uses an organ and some electronica.\nAlthough Dear Catastrophe Waitress does not quite measure up to Belle & Sebastian's trailblazing early albums, Tigermilk and If You're Feeling Sinister, its sweet poppy melodies and intelligent lyrics still make it better than most pop music today.