Departments plan career fairs

Workshops, placement offices provide valuable networking

When Chris Hammer comes to IU in search of new employees at career fairs, he's looking for students that stand out professionally from the crowd.\nHammer, assistant client manager for the Kraft-Miller team at AC Nielsen, a Chicago marketing firm, comes to the fairs with only 13 slots for interviews, and he usually sees about 150 to 170 hopeful students.\n"We're walking away from students with a five minute impression of them, so we're looking for students that do a really nice job relating their experiences to what our jobs entail," he said.\nSenior David Standa is one of those students who attends career fairs.\n"It's good to be able to network, find a face to identify with a company, and have information provided by each company," he said.\nStanda, a finance major, has been working with Mark Brostoff, the associate director of undergraduate career services for the Kelley School of Business. \n"Mark has helped me with networking and preparing my resume," he said. "He has also assisted with my preparation for career fairs."\nBrostoff advises students on career choices and preparation, but also teaches workshops for students. \n"It's a great opportunity for students to introduce themselves to recruiters and to pick up material from companies," he said of the workshops.\nBrostoff said students should take advantage of the Business Placement Office Undergraduate Career Services Web site, which has pages like "How to Make the Most of A Career Day" and lists of career workshops.\nOther departments on campus also organize career fairs and workshops to help students in their job search.\nThe Arts and Sciences Placement Office, commonly known as ASPO, is located in the Career Development Center. Serving a wide variety of job fields through the CDC, ASPO puts on career fairs each fall like, Biology and Chemistry Career Day, set for Wednesday, the Indiana Multicultural Job Fair, Oct. 31, and a Government and Social Services Career Fair, planned for Nov. 12. \n"Anyone from any discipline can use our services to find an internship or career anywhere," said Arlene Hill, associate director of ASPO. "I advise any student looking for a career to take advantage of the fairs." \nOther schools like the School of Informatics, the School of Education and the School of Journalism post career fairs and job opportunities on their Web sites. The School of Informatics will hold workshops, which will start at 5:30 p.m., Tuesdays, in the School of Informatics, Room 107.\nThe School of Journalism holds Work It!, career workshops for journalism students, which take place Fridays in Ernie Pyle Hall, Room 207. Also, the School of Journalism sends out "Deadline," an e-mail newsletter that posts job and internship opportunities.\nTo find complete lists of career fairs and job opportunities, check department Web sites. Career fairs will usually be listed under career opportunities, or through placement offices. \nFor more information on business career fairs, visit the BPO Web site, http://bpo.indiana.edu.