Daniels calls for fresh approach

Candidate vows to rebuild economy, businesses

INDIANAPOLIS -- Republican gubernatorial candidate Mitch Daniels said Monday that Indiana must take a fresh approach to rebuilding its economy.\nWhile providing few specifics, Daniels pledged to make job creation his top priority. He also said he would try to eliminate what he called burdensome business regulations, and provide better worker training opportunities.\nHe offered reporters a generalized "framework" of steps state government could take to improve its business climate. He said he hoped his proposal would open a serious dialogue on the issue and entice others to submit suggestions to his campaign.\n"We are not a job-friendly environment in this state," he said.\nThe key to changing that, Daniels said, is bringing in new people to state government who understand how businesses operate and how investment decisions are made. Democrats have controlled the governor's office for 15 years.\n"The single most important thing we can do is repopulate state government," he said.\nDaniels, a former Bush administration budget director, discussed his ideas outside the recreational vehicle he has been traveling the state in over the past few months. He has visited all 92 counties and plans to stay on the road through much of the campaign leading up to next year's election.\nDaniels said the state has made some improvements, including the tax-restructuring package enacted by the General Assembly last year and other recent economic development initiatives. But he said more must be done to spur business investment in Indiana.\nHe said the state's colleges and universities could play a key role, and the next governor should insist they develop plans aimed at spinning off more commercial activities and helping startup ventures.\nHe also said every state agency must identify ways to encourage job growth or stop obstructing it.\nThe campaign of Democratic gubernatorial candidate Joe Andrew said Daniels had only given "some generalized thoughts" on economic development.\n"While Daniels may have pointed out the obvious economic development issues facing Hoosiers, he offers nothing on how to address those issues," Andrew campaign manager Joe Champion said in a news release.\nLast month, Andrew touted a proposal that, among other things, would provide grants to small businesses and expand tax credits in hopes of creating jobs. It also lacked many details, however, including its state costs.\nState Sen. Vi Simpson of Ellettsville also is seeking the Democratic nomination for governor, as is Bloomington attorney Roy Graham. Gov. Joe Kernan has indicated a willingness to reconsider his December announcement that he would not run for governor.\nConservative activist Eric Miller is seeking the GOP nomination, as is Petersburg Mayor Randy Harris and Indianapolis businessman Bob Parker.