Two-goal victory, overtime loss highlight weekend

IU responds to Friday night's loss with big win on Sunday

Participating in their third tournament in as many weeks, the men's soccer team (2-2-2) split a pair of matches at the Notre Dame Berticelli Memorial Tournament this weekend. The No. 11 Hoosiers defeated Fresno State 3-1 Sunday, but were upended by Akron 1-0 in overtime Friday at Alumni Field. It was IU's first victory since the season-opener against California.\nCoach Jerry Yeagley was proud of the way his team performed against Fresno State.\n"It was very important that we get a win today," Yeagley said in a statement. "We had been a little frustrated and that led to a lack of composure. I thought that we came out and did the things that make the IU program great -- the effort, the work ethic, the heart and honesty."\nIn the 42nd minute, junior forward Ned Grabavoy fired a shot that nicked the cross bar and deflected into the goal. The Hoosiers carried the 1-0 advantage into halftime.\nNot quite six minutes into the second stanza, sophomore midfielder Jordan Chirico netted his first career goal from roughly 20-yards out to give IU a 2-0 lead.\nMeanwhile, the Bulldogs got on the board in the 62nd minute.\nBut IU answered mere seconds later. Grabavoy knocked in an exciting shot from the far left side of the field, just outside of the 18-yard box. IU's defense would not allow a goal for the rest of the match.\nAgainst Akron, however, the Hoosiers offense struggled as they didn't tally a score.\nIU was required to play a man short for nearly the entire second half after a Hoosier player was issued a red card. Junior midfielder Danny O'Rourke was ejected from the match in the 56th minute of competition. As O'Rourke and a Zip player went up for a head ball, they made contact and the Akron player ended up with a bloodied nose according to a released statement.\nThe Zips registered the game-winning goal in the third minute of overtime.\nIn the first half, IU came out strong and looked determined to take the lead. \nThe Hoosiers recorded quality scoring opportunities in the third, 14th, 27th and the final minute of play, but could not net a goal. Despite out-shooting Akron by five in the first period, the Hoosiers remained scoreless.\nThe Hoosiers nearly busted through again at the 82:25 mark. After an IU free kick, freshmen back Julian Dieterle got his head on the ball and it was within inches of the goal line, but Akron picked up a team save to maintain the shutout.\nIU next squares off against Notre Dame on Thursday at 7 p.m. in South Bend.\nAn excited Grabavoy said he hopes the team can use the momentum from this match. \n"I'm just happy to get the win," Grabavoy said. "I don't care who's scoring. It feels good to win and it was our best team effort of the year. We finally found a way to win. Hopefully, we'll keep pushing forward for the rest of the season"