New poet laureate to be named

Illinois to choose from 25 candidates to fill vacant position

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. -- The state's next official poet could be a 38-year-old single mother of a son with Down syndrome.\nOr a nationally known force behind the popularity of poetry slams.\nOr a soft-spoken minister and Champaign County board member.\nIllinois hasn't had a poet laureate since late 2000, when Gwendolyn Brooks died. But that's about to change.\nTwenty-five people have been nominated for the job. A search committee is paring down the list of candidates, and Gov. Rod Blagojevich plans to pick a new poet laureate next month.\nIt's a job with no pay and no real authority, but it carries a certain amount of prestige. After all, the last two were Brooks, a Pulitzer Prize winner, and Carl Sandburg, a legend.\nWord of the search prompted the nomination of poets of every kind.\nDonna Biffar works in the graphics department of a community college in southern Illinois. After work she cares for her two teenage children including 16-year-old Mike -- who has Down syndrome -- studies for her bachelor's degree, helps run a small poetry publishing house and writes her own poems.\nShe used to get up at 4 a.m. on weekends to find writing time. Biffar says she had to write poetry.\n"I think that is life. Everybody needs it, like water. It's communication in its purest form," she said.\nMarc Smith helped create poetry slams, high-energy competitions among poets back in the 1980s. They mix poetry with standup comedy, rap and theatrics in a way that has proven extremely popular, at least in the world of poetry.\nSmith doubts he'll be chosen for poet laureate but said his experience organizing slams and exciting audiences would help him use the post to promote poetry.\n"Whether the people in the establishment world want to admit it or not, they're all gravitating toward performance poetry because it works," Smith said. "If you're going to excite people about poetry, it's got to be out loud. That's where it came from."\nSteven Shoemaker is a minister who runs the University YMCA in Champaign and also a member of the county board. Shoemaker, 60, has been writing poetry since high school. He says his work, published in magazines such as Anglican Theological Review, often deals with religious and moral themes.\n"It was a total surprise to me that I was nominated. I was pleased, of course," Shoemaker said. "I think it would be a lot of fun."\nThe other nominees are just as diverse.\nThere's the federal government employee who doubles as a motivational speaker and self-published poet. There are the two men who co-edited an anthology of Illinois poetry. There's the woman who works for the state attorney general and often writes about violence and abuse.\nThe poets say they are thrilled by both their nominations and the chance to reach more people.\n"I might tell them what it is to live a simple life. Simple lives have ways of being full of unexpected turns and adventures," said poet John Knoepfle of Auburn.\nKenneth Clarke, director of the Poetry Center of Chicago, argues that poets can't showcase their work at galleries or concert halls as painters and musicians can. So it makes sense for the state to help out by naming a poet laureate.\nThe search committee, led by first lady Patti Blagojevich, is reviewing the nominations and selecting a few poets to interview for the job. Then the committee will give the governor a couple of selections from which to choose.\nBlagojevich said she is looking for someone whose work is accessible -- "no wild, funky poetry" -- and who will do a good job promoting the art.\n"We don't want a reclusive genius who will never come out of their study," she said.\nTo be eligible for the post, poets are supposed to have critical acclaim, a track record of getting their poems published and a history of activity in the arts community.\nThe job is no longer a lifetime appointment. Instead, it's for a term of four years. Blagojevich said that could translate into more poets reaching more people and getting them interested.\n"Poetry can inspire and encourage people and give them hope," she said. "It's good for people not to be so intimidated by poetry"