Hoosiers open Big Ten season this weekend

This weekend the IU women's volleyball team welcomes Minnesota and Iowa to University Gym as the Hoosiers open up Big Ten play. There will be a little more excitement in the Gym this weekend, as it's not only the beginning of the Big Ten season, but all three teams are coming off tournament titles.\nThe Hoosiers square off against the Gophers at 7 p.m. Friday night and face Iowa Saturday night at 7 p.m.\nThe Hoosiers (7-5), winners of three straight matches, are coming off of their first tournament title of the season, as they secured the IU Credit Union Invitational title in dramatic fashion. IU found itself in an 0-2 hole to Western Kentucky, but the Hoosiers stormed back to take the next three games en route to a 32-34, 23-30, 30-21, 30-25, 15-11 victory. \n"Last weekend was very big, because it showed a lot of character, being down two games and coming back against a good team gave us a lot of confidence, especially heading into Big Ten play," said senior Melissa Brewer.\nThe Golden Gophers (7-5) come into Bloomington playing their best volleyball of the season. Minnesota started the season ranked No. 6 in the American Volleyball Coaches' Association poll and struggled out of the gate as they faced five ranked opponents early on. But last week, the Gophers hit their stride as they went 4-0, including a victory over then-No. 6 Northern Iowa. Minnesota also captured the Diet Coke Classic Tournament last week. The defending Big Ten champs come into this weekend's play ranked No. 18, making this the 21st consecutive week that the Gophers have been ranked in the top 25. \nIU's second opponent this weekend, Iowa comes to IU with a 5-4 record. The last time the Hawkeyes took the court was back on Sept.13, when they took home the Inn Tower Invite title. The Hawkeyes have traditionally struggled playing at IU, as Iowa has lost its last eight matches against the Hoosiers at University Gym. \nLast weekend, the Hoosiers rebounded from a tough trip to South Bend and won three straight matches, two in convincing fashion. With some new players on the court, the team has been working on bettering the communication on the court, as well as trying to limit unforced errors on their side of the court.\n "I definitely have seen improvement each match," coach Katie Weismiller said. "I am pleased that we are improving and getting better. Each match we learn and get a little bit better. We haven't hit our peak, that's for sure."\n Last season, IU started Big Ten play with an upset over then-No.11 Ohio State. The Hoosiers will be looking for a repeat performance against a Minnesota team that took both matches from the them last year. \n"They were pretty dang good last year," said junior Victoria Zimmerman. "They have amazing athletes. We have the skill, and I think we'll be able to play with them and beat them."\nA good start in Big Ten play will be very key for the Hoosiers. A couple of big wins early could set the tone for the rest of the season and propel IU towards the top of the Big Ten standings.\n"Good starts are always wonderful, because then you become the team to beat, get a couple of wins under your belt," Weismiller said. "Minnesota is not a great team to ease into the Big Ten with, coming off a Big Ten championship. We're just ready to play."\n-- Contact staff writer Matt Glenesk at mglenesk@indiana.edu.