C'mon, write some 'Love Letters'

Indiana natives bring romance and life to the stage in Brown County Playhouse's final show of the summer season.This poignant romantic drama chronicles the relationship between a straight-laced lawyer and his artistic and free-spirited lover/best friend Melissa. As time evolves, so does their relationship.\nTheir romance and friendship takes place over 50 years, during which this pair of deeply entwined soulmates wonder if they are destined for each other.\nWritten for the stage in the '80s, the show originally opened on Broadway to packed houses and rave reviews. Its author, A.R. Gurney, is known for penning "The Dining Room" and "The Cocktail Hour." His shows are recognized for their ability to research and discover the intrinsic qualities of love, life and humanity. \nCritics consider "Love Letters" Gurney's most critically acclaimed piece to date. The play is considered a graceful deviation from Gurney's previous work, in that it is less concerned with social comment and wit than with the human condition and the relationships people form. \nThe show is brought to life by three native Indiana talents, director Lynne Perkins, Indianapolis resident Rockland Mers and Depauw University student and teacher Gigi Jennewein. \n"We cast professionals; we wanted people with an IU connection. Our actors had a previous connection which aided in their interpretation," said director Lynne Perkins on the casting process. \nA veteran of onstage and offstage theatrical productions, Perkins attests to the dedication and talent of her small, intimate cast. \n"I have very much enjoyed working with Brown County, Gurney's language and this cast," she said. "This play spans two entire lifetimes, it is filled with such rich imagination. This cast has brought the characters to life, and as a viewer you recognize these people. My assumption is that the audience will see themselves in this, their own choices reflected in the language."\nGoing on to discuss the nature and relevance of this dramatic love story, Perkins said she believes that the audience will share in the experiences of the two main characters. In Gurney's powerful story, there is an eloquence that defines the darker side of a human relationship and their love communicated through letters, said Perkins. \n"It is a journey through the different manifestations of love, and it has humor and drama. Their relationship begins in 1937 and lasts fifty years, it's a friendship and a romance," Perkins said.\nFemale lead Jennewein said she believes in the free will and spirit of her character.\n"I like how hard she tries to overcome some very real obstacles," she said. "Most people don't think she would have these obstacles because she is wealthy. Her nature is a reaction to what happens to her."\nMelissa Gardner, the principle female character, is presented with personal crises throughout her lifetime. Melissa's mother is an alcoholic who marries several times. After going to therapy in sixth grade, Melissa is sent to a boarding school. She chooses to solve challenges by being herself; she is a talented painter and flaunts herself through art. She has a lot of inner struggles and fights the expectations that are demanded of her, said Jennewein. \nMelissa is young and impetuous when confronted with the realities of her relationship with Andrew Markplace Ladd, the lead male character. The two friends seem to rebound consistently, always wondering internally where their relationship is taking them. Along the way, there are hopes, triumphs and tragedies.\nThroughout this production, the cast has formed a working triangle in which they have allowed each other to grow on stage and off, says Jennewein. The idea is that while they mature, their audience will develop with them and relate to the message that the play presents.\n"Love Letters," which opens today, runs this weekend and continues every weekend in October until Oct. 25. For more information, visit the Brown County Playhouse Web site at www.indiana.edu/~thtr/bcplay.html.\n-- Contact staff writer Olivia Morales at ormorale@indiana.edu.