Around The Arts

Yale professor to read excerpts from her novel, stories\nAmy Bloom, a practicing psychotherapist and a Yale University professor, will read selections from her works at 7:30 p.m. tonight in Woodburn Hall, Room 009. She is the author of two short story collections, "A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You" and "Come to Me," and a novel, "Love Invents Us." Her most recent book is "Normal: Transsexual CEOs, Crossdressing Cops and Hermaphrodites with Attitude." A practicing psychotherapist, she lives in Connecticut and teaches at Yale University. For more information, visit www.\nindiana.edu/~mfawrite/readings.html. \nAnnual blues fest invites local bands\nThe Bean Blossom Blues Fest, affectionately known as the "Bean," is a three-day music event and outdoor party held each year in September at the Bill Monroe Music Park in Bean Blossom, Ind. The Bean, which begins Friday, features more than 20 bands performing on two stages, camping on location with around-the-clock campfire jams where everyone with an instrument can join in. The festival will also feature three harmonica seminars: one for kids, one for beginner adults and one for advanced players. The festival includes America's biggest harmonica contest, vendors selling everything from wood crafts to harmonicas and plenty of food. Passes for the event are $45 for three days. For more information and band listings, visit www.harpdepot.com/blues.cfm. \nFarmers' Market celebrates crafts, arts\nBloomington Community Farmers' Market will feature an art and fine craft fair beginning at 7 a.m. Saturday at the Showers Civic Plaza, 401 N. Morton St. The fair will include displays from local and regional artists. The market is located at Showers Civic Plaza, 401 N. Morton Street. For more information, call 349-3738, e-mail veldmanm@city.bloomington.in.us or visit www.city.bloomington.in.us /parks/farmers.html. \nLiterary magazine accepts submissions from IU students\nCANVAS, IU's literary magazine, will accept submissions in poetry, prose, artwork and photography through Oct. 24. All submissions should be sent electronically to canvas@indiana.edu. For more information, e-mail canvas@indiana.edu.\nStardusters Big Band, a Bloomington-based 17-piece orchestra, will play "A Musical Review of Singing, Dancing & Big Band Jazz" at 8 p.m., Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. \nStardusters present big band jazz era in upcoming concert\nThe Stardusters have been performing the sounds of the 1930s, '40s and '50s since 1993. Saturday's performance will feature a jazz band, vibraphonist Robert Stright, the Robert Stright Trio and vocalists Sarah Flint and Mathew Gailey. The concert will also feature Arthur Miller dancers who have created and choreographed a new swing sequence to the music of the early jazz era. \nFor more information about the evening, visit www.stardustersmusic.com or call (800)733-0835.