A new president -- a new beginning

Herbert greets IU, media on first official day as president of University

IU president Adam Herbert's first day on the job started out with a nice, peaceful stroll through campus with executive assistant to the president Sara McNabb. Well, with her and about 15 others from the media including reporters, TV cameramen and photographers who occasionally would dash up close for a shot.\n"I appreciate so many from the press coming here today," Herbert said at an informal meeting with the media in front of his office after the walk.\n"I'm delighted to finally by here on the IU campus," Herbert said. "It's one of the most beautiful campuses in America."\nThe only student the group walked by on the sidewalk leading up to Bryan Hall, where the president's office is located, seemed more interested in studying than the hullabaloo surrounding IU's new president. One cameraman stopped filming Herbert long enough to get some footage of the student.\n"Our first concern, obviously, is students," Herbert said.\nThe walk began at 8:45 a.m. in front of the Bryan House, the place of residence for the new president and his family, who have not arrived yet. McNabb pointed out IU landmarks to Herbert along the way such as Ballantine Hall, the concrete gazebo by Dunn Woods and the statue of Herman B Wells sitting on the bench in front of Wylie Hall.\n"Paying tribute to President Wells is a standard for new presidents," Herbert said.\nHe added that he had read Wells' book and said there were similarities between the two men; one of them being recognizability.\n"I am very hard to miss," Herbert said. He paused a bit. "By virtue of size." And by virtue of being mobbed by a herd of recording equipment.\nHerbert answered questions enthusiastically and seemed genuinely excited about the joys and challenges awaiting him as president of IU.\n"I look forward to doing my best," Herbert said. "I bring a lot of energy to the table."\nAfter Herbert finished answering questions, he went into his office to talk with the president of the IU board of trustees, Fred Eichhorn, before making telephone calls the rest of the day to other trustees and people critical to the success of IU.\n"We talked about current issues, and I learned that he had studied up on a lot of the things we are going to have to deal with," Eichhorn said. "He was way ahead of the curve as far as I can tell."\nHerbert said he must keep communication open with the trustees to keep IU successful.\n"(Eichhorn's) support and the support of the rest of the trustees is essential," Herbert said.\nThe last question answered, Herbert walked through the doors leading into his office as the gaggle of cameras filmed him starting the first day of many in his new job as president of IU.