Three more players verbally commit to IU

Men's basketball coach Mike Davis always has been considered a knowledgeable recruiter. Chances are, he just landed another prized recruit to add to his resume. D.J. White, a 6-foot-7-inch, 233-pound forward from Tuscaloosa, Ala., verbally committed to play for the Hoosiers on Monday. He will begin playing in the 2004-2005 season. \nWhite, who made his intentions clear while playing at the Nike All-America Camp in Indianapolis, is considered by many recruiting services to be one of the top 10 players in the class of 2004. \nWhite joins Pike's Robert Vaden and Fort Wayne Elmhurst's James Hardy as players who have committed to IU. All three are participating in the Nike Camp, getting the opportunity to play against the country's top 180 high school players. The experience they gain at the Nike Camp will help prepare them not only for their basketball careers, but also for decisions they will face off the court. \nWhite attended Hillcrest High School in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and will be a high school senior in the fall.\nVaden, likely a shooting guard more than a point guard, is playing strongly at the Nike Camp. \nHardy, a 6-foot-6-inch forward with a polished offensive game will be a nice addition to the Hoosiers, who might be without sophomore Bracey Wright in the 2004-2005 season if he opts for the NBA after next year. Wright averaged a team-high 16.2 points per game, the best by a Big Ten freshman last season. \nFor next season, IU was able to sign Pat Ewing Jr., a 6-foot-8-inch, 215-pound forward from National Christian Academy in Fort Washington, Md., to a national letter of intent to play for the Hoosiers. Ewing Jr. is the son of former NBA All-Star and current NBA assistant coach Patrick Ewing.\nBesides Ewing Jr. for next year, IU was able to snatch Jessan Gray-Ashley, a 6-foot-10-inch, 205-pound forward from Davenport, Iowa. He played prep basketball at Central High School in Davenport and signed a national letter of intent in November 2002. \nWhite's family and Davis, an Alabama native, became good friends while they attended the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church in Tuscaloosa, Ala. In the past, Davis has used his church ties and his relaxed demeanor to appeal to recruits. His personality has afforded him the ability to be able to attract the best high school basketball players in the country to attend IU.\nIU has two more scholarships to give for 2004-2005 and Davis is still on the recruiting trail, hoping to entice players with his personable, yet diligent persona.