Matt LoVecchio on preseason list for award

Junior on watch list for Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award

Entering his first season in a Hoosier uniform, junior Matt LoVecchio is going to have a lot of eyes watching him after his successful two-year stint at Notre Dame. Now there's another set watching him -- The Davey O'Brien Foundation. \nThe foundation awards the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award to the top quarterback in the country, and LoVecchio has been listed as a preseason favorite for the award. The quarterback is chosen by a committee consisting of sports analysts, commentators and writers from prominent sports organizations such as ESPN, CBS, ABC and numerous large market newspapers. \nThe Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award began in 1977 and has featured such noted football pros as Steve Young, Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning since it began awarding quarterbacks exclusively in 1981. \nThe criteria for the award includes six guidelines both on and off the field; including academic standing, sportsmanship, dedication to team success, leadership, quarterback skills and achievements. The award also benefits more than the winner himself, as it carries with it a $10,000 grant to the scholarship program of the winner's university.\nLoVecchio is about to start his first season at IU after transferring from Notre Dame after the 2001 season. While at Notre Dame, LoVecchio was the first freshman to start in nine years and established a school record for the lowest single-season interception percentage, after giving up only one interception in 125 pass attempts in the 2000 season. During his career with the Fighting Irish, LoVecchio started in 10 games, including eight starts in his freshman season. He also completed 107 of his 194 pass attempts for 1,267 yards and 12 touchdowns.\nLoVecchio will have some help in gaining the award as he enters offensive coordinator Al Borges' offensive system that relies on passing. Along with the Borges' system, LoVecchio will be leading an offensive unit that broke the single-season school record for passing yards in 2002 bolstered by five returning top receivers.\nIf LoVecchio takes the award this year, he will be the first athlete in IU history to win the award.\nLoVecchio joins a list of 41 other quarterbacks who are contending for the award from schools all over the country. \nSemifinalists for the award will be announced in early November and will be distilled down to three finalists later in the month. The winner for the 2003 Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award will be announced Dec. 11.