President's salary set at middle ground of other Big Ten schools

In December, the search firm of Baker, Parker and Associates, based in Atlanta, which helped the University locate its next president, presented a report to the IU board of trustees suggesting the University should offer the new president $600,000 to $800,000 a year to keep pace with most universities around the country.\nThe University did not exactly take their suggestion.\nDr. Adam W. Herbert, named Thursday as IU's 17th president, will receive $335,000 in an annual base salary, which includes $280,000 from University funds and $55,000 from IU Foundation funds. In addition, $70,000 will be placed into a deferred compensation account. Herbert will also have use of the Bryan House, located in the middle of campus, and use of a company car.\nTrustee Stephen Ferguson said the board wanted the president's salary to be in the middle of the road in the Big Ten.\n"We will neither be at the bottom or at the top of the Big Ten (concerning presidential salaries)" Ferguson said.\nHe said the base salary was comparable to Purdue University's president, Martin Jischke, who makes a salary of $335,425. Included in Jischke's salary is $54,988 from the Purdue Research Foundation and a house, Purdue News Service Director Jeanne Norberg said.\nAt a December trustees meeting, Jerry Baker, head of Baker, Parker and Associates, suggested IU offer the new president up to $800,000 a year, more than twice what former President Myles Brand made in his last year, which was $307,660.\nIn August, the University of Michigan gave its president a base salary of $475,000, with a deferred compensation of $75,000.\nOhio State University offered its new president $325,000, which was a raise from the previous president's salary of $275,000.\nSue Downs, Herbert's executive assistant of the Florida Center for Public Policy and Leadership, said Herbert made approximately $250,000 while serving as the center's executive director before he took the position at IU.