Team ends season in loss

Two rowers receive conference awards

After a weekend of ups and downs, one word can best be used to describe the Hoosiers performance in the Big Ten Championships this weekend: bittersweet. While the team had two rowers named to the All Big Ten team and had two boats advance to the grand finals, the Hoosiers finished last in overall standings and failed to send any varsity boats to the grand finals.\nThe Hoosiers finished seventh overall with 30 points. Michigan and Michigan State tied for first with 123 points, but the tiebreaker went to Michigan because they placed better than Michigan State in the varsity eight grand final. Coach Mark Wilson said he was pleased with the overall results.\n"We scored more points than ever before so that is a positive thing," he said. "Placing the two novice boats in the grand finals helped us in that category. They didn't row as well as they hoped to in the Grand Finals, but it was still great that they made it that far. Both their first races were better than their second races."\nHelping lead the way to their best finish in IU history was senior Becky England and sophomore Kelly Schuiling. England was named first team All Big Ten while Schuiling was honored as second team All Big Ten. Wilson said he was proud of their accomplishments.\n"They both are very deserving of the award," Wilson said. "Kelly is one of those athletes that knows what it takes to win and is not afraid to voice her opinions and be leader even as an underclassmen. Becky has been a great leader for four years at Indiana. The team is very proud of both Becky and Kelly."\nIn the grand finals of the second novice eight, the Hoosiers placed fourth with a time of 6:56.5, just five-tenths slower than Michigan State who took third place with a time of 6:56.0. Ohio State finished second while Wisconsin won the race with a time of 6:44.\nThe first novice eight would have the same fate as the second novice eight. They finished fourth as well in their grand final with a time of 7:08. Wisconsin won this race as well with a time of 6:49. Michigan State took second with a time of 6:54 while Minnesota finished third at 6:55.\nNeither the first or second varsity eight made it to the Grand Final. In second varsity eight petite finals, the team finished third with a time of 7:26. Wisconsin took first with a time of 6:47 while Minnesota placed second with a time of 6:58.\nIn the varsity eight petite finals, the Hoosiers placed third at 6:56. Minnesota stole first with a time of 6:34 while Wisconsin finished four seconds slower to take second place.