Bubbles and No. 2 pencils

Tests are on George Boyd's mind this time of year. Tests in medical science. Tests in political science. Tests in business. Tests in English. Even tests in physical education.\nFinals week is the most demanding time of the year for Boyd. He barely has time to enjoy the view of Indiana Avenue from his office in Franklin Hall. He barely has time to watch the cops catch speeders and to watch cars turn the wrong way down Indiana. And he barely has time to stop and talk.\nA student might have five tests this week. Boyd, a full-time employee at IU's Bureau of Evaluative Studies and Testing, has thousands.\nOn a wall in his office, Franklin Hall Room M002, a sign says: "Due to the present workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice."\nThat's because this week, they'll be inundated for the second week in a row with bubble sheet tests and course evaluations from every IU department. \nBoyd and his co-workers scan thousands of bubble sheets in an average week. But this week makes "average" look mild. As is always the case, though, they'll aim to process tests in two hours.\nIf you've filled out a bubble sheet at IU since the late 1980s, Boyd probably scanned it through one of IU's two optical mark readers. If you fill one out today, Boyd will probably see it shortly.\nIn an average year, employees here process more than 1 million documents, said David Perry, director of assessment and testing. About two-thirds of them are tests and course evaluations. The rest are surveys, research projects or GED tests from all over Indiana.\nAn $80,000 Digitek scanner does most of the work, processing up to 10,000 forms per hour. But the scanning room has a second, older machine, as a backup.\nFor each test or survey, the scanner produces a data file, which is converted into a statistical report summarizing the bubble sheets.\nAt least once a semester, a student complains that the machine made a mistake on their test, Boyd said. But it's not possible for the machine to make a mistake on just one test, since every sheet is scanned the same way.\n"Every time this has ever come up, the machine has not misread," he said.\nBefore and after they are scanned, tests and surveys are kept under constant supervision until they are returned to their department or professor.\nThe room's location also adds an element of security. The part of Franklin Hall that houses the scanning room is hidden away in what used to be the library stacks.\nBut, never fear, your test will find its way.\nJust remember to use a No. 2 pencil. The machine only reads pencil, since it reflects light and pen doesn't. And the machines are pretty sensitive, so it's also a good idea to stay within the bubbles. Other than that, you should be ready to take your test.\nBoyd will be ready to run it through the scanner. He's seen something like 15 million bubble sheets in his day.\nAnd you thought you were going to see a lot of bubbles this week.