Around The Arts

Likely van Gogh fake still draws crowd\nOSLO, Norway -- A prized self-portrait by Dutch artist Vincent van Gogh might be fake, but Norway's National Gallery couldn't be happier.\nVisitors to the Oslo art museum have increased since April, thanks to curious Norwegians eager to see the painting which has become the center of controversy about its authenticity, gallery curator Frode Haverkamp said Tuesday.\nThe untitled painting, done mostly in green and blue hues, shows the anguished face of van Gogh, who lived from 1853-1890, shortly after he cut off his right ear. It's believed to be one of the few self-portraits he did after mutilating himself.\nBut earlier this year, Norwegian art historian Johannes Roed concluded that the untitled artwork was likely a fake, painted by someone else.\n"For a long time, we have had doubters," Haverkamp said of the painting acquired by the National Gallery in 1910. He said the gallery is conducting its own investigation into whether it is a fake or not.\nFans hold candlight vigil for Vandross\nDETROIT -- Fans and fellow singers held a candlelight vigil for R&B artist Luther Vandross, who's recovering from a stroke.\nAretha Franklin, a friend of Vandross, organized Monday night's event at the Little Rock Baptist Church.\n"I felt he needed prayer, and he needed it now," said Franklin, who sang "Amazing Grace" for a crowd of 5,000 people.\nFive weeks ago, Vandross was discovered in his New York apartment suffering the aftereffects of a stroke. He remains in the intensive care unit of the Weill Cornell Medical Center of New York-Presbyterian Hospital.\nThe Four Tops, Ortheia Barns, Franklin's sons, Kecalf and Eddie, Ursula Walker and Buddy Budson were among those on the program, The Detroit News reported Tuesday.