Sororities join for funk's sake

Charity event on Sunday to raise money for diabetes

This Sunday a greek sponsored philanthropy event will bring two sororities together to benefit children with juvenile diabetes. Sororities Alpha Gamma Delta and Delta Sigma Theta are paired for the first time to put on a talent show, "Bring in the Noise, We've got the Funk," and are showing more than talent.\nThis is one of the few times sororities from different Pan-Hellenic sections have been paired. \nThe pairing rarely occurs at IU, said Virginia LeBlanc, executive director of the Pan-Hellenic Council. Diversity among greek organizations is an area the Council has tried to focus on and upon which they are trying to improve.\n"The fact of human nature is that people tend to gravitate to what they know and where they feel comfortable," LeBlanc said. "Human beings tend to shy away from the unknown and never seek it out; therein lies the problem of ignorance and racism, resulting in racist acts, mannerisms and opinions." \nThe differences between the sororities dates back to their origin. Sororities like Delta Sigma Theta were founded on the principles of bettering the black community. \n"The focus of these organizations was and continues to be public service first and foremost," LeBlanc said. "The very nature of the founding of historically black greek-lettered organizations was borne out of segregation."\nBut both sororities are trying to reach out.\nDelta Sigma Theta's first vicepresident and philanthropy chair Krista Hollins said the collaboration is the biggest her sorority has been a part of so far.\n"I really think it's going to be fun," Hollins said. "It's kind of like bridging the gap between the black sororities and the others."\n"Everyone is working very hard to support other greek chapters," Jade Gentry, member of Alpha Gamma Delta said. "Joining with Delta Sigma Theta … is just one step to diversify the greek system."\nThe talent show offers an opportunity for many different acts. Alpha Gamma Delta Philanthropy Chair, Jess Dennig, says this event is more multicultural than any in the past.\n"It's a lot different because we've never done a multicultural event, or never one this big." Denning said. "Hopefully this will be a huge success."\nThe show includes performances by Ladies First, Mike and the Sideburn Lawsuits, step shows, choir performances and dance routines.\n"The real excitement of this show is that the acts are very diversified." Gentry said. "We have everything from dancing, step shows, and gospel choirs." \nThe show is eight dollars a ticket and will take place at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday April 6, at Gladstein Fieldhouse. Tickets can be purchased at the door, and donations are also accepted. All proceeds will go to the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation supporting juvenile diabetes.\n"Even if you're not in a chapter, anyone and everyone is welcome," Denning said.