Outdoor season continues at Texas Relays

Second meet offers another opportunity for athletes to meet NCAA marks

The IU women's track and field team is looking to build on an encouraging first weekend of meets today and tomorrow at the Texas Relays. After competing last weekend at the Florida Relays, the Stanford Invitational and the Purdue Invitational, seven Hoosier women qualified for the NCAA Regionals. \nAt the Florida Relays, seniors Danielle Carruthers, Rachelle Boone and Rose Richmond and sophomore Ara Towns qualified for the 4x100 relay. Richmond also qualified in the long jump with her second best outdoor jump of her career, which was good for first place. Though she already has an impressive start, Richmond said she plans to improve this weekend. \n"I just want to jump further than in the first meet," she said. \nThis week, Richmond was one of three Big Ten Conference Athletes of the Week for her performances at the Florida Relays. She was the only female honoree and shared the honor with IU long jumper Aarik Wilson and Ohio State's Dan Taylor.\nAlso qualifying for the regional meet last weekend was freshman Andrea Dalla Rosa with her fourth place throw in the shot put in her first ever collegiate competitive outdoor throws. However, Dalla Rosa said that the impressive start doesn't satisfy her.\n"I have a lot of work to do between now and then," she said.\nJunior Lauren Chesnut also qualified for regionals at the Florida Relays in the triple jump.\nCoach Randy Heisler said that last weekend's meet went well for the Hoosiers.\n"I'm excited," Heisler said. "We've got probably the best team in the conference. The athletes are very positive."\nHeisler said that he is especially encouraged by the distance runners' performances last weekend at the Stanford Invitational. Sophomore Mindy Peterson led the way by posting a Regional qualifying time in the 1500-meter run. Freshman Kelly Siefker, junior Allyson Hammond and sophomore Larra Overton also solidified the distance team's progress by placing in the top three in the 1500-meter at the Purdue Invitational.\n"It adds a whole new dimension to the team," Heisler said of the distance runners' efforts. \nHeisler said that the goal for his team this weekend is obvious.\n"Perform better than ever," he said. \nHe said this meet will help the Hoosiers because of the high level of competition as eight of the top ten athletes in the country will be in every event.