Local resident teaches about Japanese music

Last weekend about 100 people had the chance to "visit Japan." Bloomington resident Molly Atkins Jeon and her teacher Baisho Matsumoto performed 16th century Japanese folk music as part of the musical program "A Visit to Japan" at the John Waldron Arts Center auditorium.\nJeon, who sings traditional Japanese folk music, was accompanied by Matsumoto on the shamisen, a traditional Japanese string instrument. Together they played 12 traditional Japanese folk songs, while Matsumoto performed a variety of songs on different instruments such as the Indian sitar and the bamboo flute, or shakuhachi. Matsumoto came to the United States specifically for the opportunity to play with his former student. \nThe tsugaru shamisen is part of a unique style of Japanese folk music that was developed in northern Japan. Like jazz, it allows for improvisation and now enjoys a global following, Jeon said.\nPrior to the weekend concerts, Jeon and Matsumoto toured Bloomington giving demonstrations of the three-stringed tsugaru shamisen and introducing audiences to the style of traditional Japanese music. The two also went to several area schools, Meadowwood Retirement Center and the Mathers Museum. \n"The preview was to give people an introduction to the voice and the instruments, so that the concert itself wasn't such a shock," Jeon explained.\nTen years ago, Jeon began her studies under Matsumoto. While she was pursuing a vocal degree at the University of Colorado, Jeon developed an interest in Japan. A teacher suggested that she travel to Japan to teach English.\nIn Japan her interest in Japanese folk music increased. She performed in several competitions. She counts being named Grand Champion in a major Japanese regional contest among one of her greatest accomplishments. Before reaching the regional competition, Jeon was named champion for her age group at the local level, then at the regional level she won first place in her age group and first place for the entire competition. This gave her the chance to compete in a national competition.\n"It's remarkable that Molly would be the only Westerner in these vocal competitions. She would win too, and that would shock the Japanese," said Kaira Hogle, performing arts director for JWAC. "It's interesting that she's learned to sing so well in the Japanese style."\nJeon is a certified master teacher of Japanese folk song and possesses a master's degree in ethnomusicology from the Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music. She currently teaches Japanese at Bloomington High School North. Recently, Jeon also gave a performance at the Danville Public Library sponsored by Young Audiences of Indiana.\n"A Visit to Japan" was part of the John Waldron Arts Center's 10th anniversary performance series and was also sponsored by the Asian Culture Center and East Asian Studies Center at IU.