Janko's pleases local carnivores

Janko's Little Zagreb is a place that surprises you. By the name, you might think it is an ethnic restaurant that would not appeal to the unadventurous. The red-and-white checked table cloths, casually dressed waitresses and IU basketball calendars adorning the walls make you think it's a sports bar that sells burgers and fries. The minute you find out there is something special about Janko's (pronounced Yonko's) is when you take a whiff of the surroundings and smell the aroma of grilled steak. What is surprising about this restaurant is that it is arguably the best steakhouse in Bloomington, but you would never know it by its casual, unpretentious nature.\nOne of the first things that may surprise some patrons about Janko's is the price. A meal at this joint will set you back nearly $30, including tip and drinks, but the price is certainly worth it. It's a great place to take someone you like for a fancy date or a nice spot to get your parents to treat you to when they visit Bloomington.\nIf you are a vegetarian, this is not the place for you. At Janko's, steaks reign supreme, with few veggie alternatives to choose from. The best selections include the porterhouse steak, which is almost an inch thick, making finishing this piece of beef a considerable task. Portions are never a problem here either. The size of these entrees also make the cost much more manageable, considering the amount of leftovers. The super-filet and the T-bone are also popular choices and with good reason. None of the entrees should need any sauce. These thick juicy steaks are good enough by themselves. Another excellent choice is the ground sirloin with cheese -- which appears to be a simple cheeseburger -- but again, Janko's suprises with a tasty burger substitute.\nThe side dishes aren't bad, but they aren't the reason to visit Janko's. The house salad is just a basic chopped iceberg lettuce with shredded carrots, and the baked potato is a simple medium-sized spud with sour cream. The side dishes that receive the most attention are the onion rolls and the mushrooms (which are by request). Personally, I found neither that special. The mushrooms were bland and cooked in a simple butter sauce, which didn't add much flavor. The onion rolls didn't spark my interest either. I could get the same rolls from Marsh, which isn't saying they are bad by any means, just not any different from ordinary grocery-store variety. \nJanko's is also known for having the biggest and best wine selection in Bloomington. This may not be an option for all IU students, but those who can partake in a drink along with their fine cuisine will enjoy the variety of beverages. \nOverall, Janko's is just a fun place to go. The atmosphere creates a fine restaurant with quality steaks that rival (if not beat) places like Ruth's Chris. It's a nice place to sit down and feast on beef while watching an NCAA game or just chatting with company.