IU splits, travels to Penn, Drake relays

The No. 12 women's track and field team is back in action Friday and Saturday as several of its top athletes will compete at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Pa., or the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa. \nCoach Randy Heisler said this weekend is important to the team's progress as the best teams from across the country will be competing. \n"It's a big weekend for us all to have good performances," he said. "We can move up on lists, whether it's Big Ten lists, regionals or nationals."\nSenior Rachelle Boone said the level of competition at the Penn Relays will drive her to do well in the 100-meter dash as well as the 4x100 and 4x200 relays.\n"Everybody's there," she said. \n"Everybody" includes top-ranked schools like Louisiana State University and Miami. Last year at the meet, Boone's 4x200 relay team finished in second place and the 4x100 team finished third. \nSenior Rose Richmond, whose accomplishments include finishing second at the indoor national championships in the long jump, will concentrate her efforts on the 4x100. She said she anticipates a good performance from herself and her teammates in the event. \n"If we go out and run a good time, we can be in the top three again," she said. \nIn addition to Boone and Richmond, the 4x100 relay also includes senior Danielle Carruthers and sophomore Ara Towns. Carruthers was named last week's Big Ten Athlete of the Week for her 100-meter hurdle performance at the Mt. Sac Relays in Walnut, Calif. Her time is the second-fastest in the nation so far this season. \nLike Heisler and Boone, Richmond said the top-notch opponents at the Penn Relays will be beneficial to the team.\n"It will motivate everyone to step it up a notch because we know there's going to be stiff competition," she said. \nBoone said she is satisfied with the progress the team has made during the first few meets of the season. \n"Everyone's getting better and stepping up for their part," she said. \nHeisler said he is especially pleased with Boone, Carruthers and junior Lauren Chesnut for their efforts last weekend at Mt. Sac. Boone and Carruthers recorded season bests and Chesnut set a new school record in the triple jump. \nHeisler added that he expects his athletes to continue making positive steps forward during this weekend's meets.\n"If they're going to run fast, this is the time to do it," he said. "It's an opportunity to grow"