Hoosiers have solid weekend meets

The men's track and field team sent some of its squad to Austin, Texas, for the Texas Relays while the rest went to Charleston for the Eastern Illinois Invitational meet. The Texas Relays were not scored but the team received top individual performances in which three individuals met NCAA regional provisional marks. The Eastern Illinois Invitational meet kept a team score but the Hoosiers did not focus on that aspect.\nThe Texas Relays featured top talent, including Olympians Maurice Greene, Allen Johnson and Terrence Trammell. Senior hurdler Matt Harris said before the meet that the competition at the relays possibly tops that of the NCAA championship meet.\nSenior Adam Judge, junior Patrick Miller and junior Mike Minton all met the NCAA regional provisionals. Judge did so in the hammer throw with a third place finish, Miller placed eighth in the javelin to meet his mark and Minton met his provisional mark in the discus with an eighth place finish. Minton qualified in the shot put last week at the Florida Relays.\nThe team received several other top individual performances at the Texas Relays. The 4x1500 meter relay team held off Wisconsin to secure a second place finish with a time of 15:29.35. Sophomore All-American Aarik Wilson earned third place in the long jump as well.\nThe Hoosiers put a solid showing in the distance events, led by sophomore Bart Phariss who placed ninth in the 5000-meter race with a time of 14:48.14. Junior Matt Sweetman finished eighth in the 3000-meter steeplechase and sophomore Nathan Purcell finished seventh in the 1500-meter.\nAt Eastern Illinois, the team faced adversity with inclement weather all weekend.\n"We got sunburned on Thursday, drowned on Friday and froze on Saturday," coach Marshall Goss said.\nThis was the second weekend in a row part of the team experienced bad weather. Last week, part of the team traveled to Purdue and experienced unfavorable conditions.\nSophomore Jake Wiseman was the highlight of the meet in the decathlon, narrowly missing the provisional mark in the event. He had a high enough mark in the javelin to meet the provisional standard.\nAlso the 4x800 meter relay team won at Eastern Illinois.\nThe Hoosiers will race at home for the first time of the season next weekend, hosting a three-way meet of Indiana State and Central Michigan. Goss said he anticipates a competitive meet in which many will set provisional standards. He also said the team hopes for some good weather.\n"The weather says mostly sunny and 66 degrees Saturday," Goss said. "That's what we need to have, some good, solid weather"