Team's home opener canceled

Unplayable field conditions postpone doubleheader

After opening the season with 14 straight road games, the Hoosiers' softball team (6-8) was scheduled to return to Bloomington today for a doubleheader and the home opener against the Illinois State Redbirds (7-10). But because of unplayable field conditions, the home opener will take place Saturday against Eastern Michigan. The two games are scheduled to begin Saturday at 1 and 3 p.m. \nTuesday's opener was to be the first game of a 10-game homestand for the Hoosiers, who have two more wins then last years squad after 14 games. IU split four games over the weekend in Charelston, S.C., with wins coming over Cansius (5-2) and Stony Brook (2-1). \n"We are playing pretty well right now," first-year coach Sara Hayes said. "We work hard at practice on finding a rhythm, and we have definitely found that rhythm."\nTuesday's cancellation marks the sixth game wiped out because of weather for the Hoosiers this year, one less then last year's season endured at this point. \n"We will continue to practice hard and get better on things we can get better on," senior Stormy Hanson said. "It also gives us time to rest our bodies."\nAfter 14 games, Hanson is making a strong push for Big Ten Player of the Year by continuing to lead the team in nearly every offensive category with a .444 batting average, 12 runs, 20 hits, 6 doubles, two triples, two home runs and 11 RBIs. \nFreshman Lauren Hines is second on the team with a .438 batting average, 14 hits and 7 RBIs but believes extra practices will benefit the team's performance.\n"It gives us more time to prepare for when we do open," Hines said. "And it is easier to play in warmer weather"