Senior player sets example for team

Butler provides mental leadership essential for success

As a utility player, senior Sarah Butler plays exactly like her position describes: doing anything the team needs to win.\nOn defense Butler has recorded 16 steals so far this year while committing a team low three turnovers. Coach Barry King said he's seen the most improvement in her defensive game. \n"Sarah has really started to pick up her defensive awareness," King said. "Her biggest growth has been on the defensive end."\nBut, Butler is not limited to only defense. On the offensive side of the ball, she has 13 goals along with five assists on the season. During the Hoosiers' spring break trip, Butler had five goals in a 13-0 IU victory over LaVerne. \n"She has really learned to anticipate well on defense, and she is taking advantage of a lot of situations," King said. "This is leading to many opportunities for her on the offensive side of the ball."\nThroughout her career at IU, Butler has shown steady improvement. She had 10 goals in each of her first two seasons, and during her junior year, Butler displayed great improvement. In 2002, she had 19 goals on 35 shots. She added 20 steals and 13 assists that year, both marking career highs. \n"I think I have improved a lot through the experience I have gained," Butler said. "Coming in from Ohio, I didn't have many opportunities, but now I have been playing better teams and gained valuable experience." \nBefore she started her career at IU, Butler played at Worthington Kilbourne High School. A native of Worthington, Ohio, Butler was named to the all-state water polo team her senior year of high school.\n"Sarah is an important leader because she has such a level head," King said. "She is smart, intelligent and provides a lot of stability to the team." \nButler's best friend and roommate, senior Jamie Marley, said Butler is a key part of the team. \n"She is hard working, dedicated and a great role model to everybody on the team," Marley said. "She gives us great leadership and provides a good example for all the players, especially the younger players."\nButler's teammates and coach give her a lot of praise, but she is modest when talking about herself. "I just try and help everyone get focused on what we are here to do and keep everyone focused," Butler said.