GOP revisions rejected

Revised economic development plan rejected by Democrats

INDIANAPOLIS -- House Democrats rejected Republican changes to a version of Democratic Gov. Frank O'Bannon's economic-development plan Monday, even though some GOP votes might be needed to advance the plan to the Senate.\nHouse Republicans, who are outnumbered 51-49, offered to provide votes for the package Tuesday if Democrats accepted some of their amendments. Tuesday is the deadline for passing bills out of their house of origin, and O'Bannon's plan seemed to be in danger.\nO'Bannon met privately with House Democrats on Monday to plug the package, but it was still unclear whether Democrats alone could muster all 51 votes needed for House passage. O'Bannon acknowledged Friday that he did not know whether he had the votes needed to keep the plan alive.\nAmong other things, the GOP amendments would have provided tax breaks designed to create jobs, and restored funding for research and development efforts to levels O'Bannon proposed before House Democrats scaled it back. House Democrats cut that funding from $360 million over 10 years to $250 million.\n"Give us a handprint on this bill and we can support it," Rep. Jeff Espich, R-Uniondale, told Democrats during floor debate on the amendments.\nBut Democrats rejected them on party-line votes, saying that many had price tags the state could not afford during the lingering budget crunch. Although some of the tax breaks might be good for economic development, they also would cost needed state tax revenue, Democrats said.\n"I think we have to be careful at how fast we move," said Rep. Earl Harris, D-East Chicago.