First year coaches face off in weekend doubleheader

After Tuesday's home opener cancellation against Illinois State, IU will try again to open their home season by facing Eastern Michigan in a double header on Saturday with games at 1 and 3 p.m. \nSaturday's matchup against EMU will feature two first year coaches trying to right their program's ship. IU coach Sarah Hayes is 6-8 in her rookie stint as the Hoosiers' coach, while EMU is led by first year coach Karen Baird. \nBaird and the Eagles from Yipsilanti, Mich., enter Saturday's twin bill with a 1-11 record and are in the midst of a ten game losing streak. The Eagles are winless on the road (0-4), and after nine games this season we're being outscored by their opponents, 54-13. \n"I think the challenge of playing a struggling team is to stay focused," Hayes said. "We have to be tough during everything we can control."\nEastern Michigan is led by senior pitcher Marla Otterbacher, who is boasting a team leading 2.81 ERA while earning two complete games. \nAnd pitching is what has kept IU in nearly every ball game thus far. Sophomore Katie Witham continues to lead the Hoosiers with an impressive 1.92 ERA, while junior Heather Stillians is first on the team with four wins and 28 strikeouts. \n"(Pitching) coach (Mickey) Dean had worked us really hard," Stillians said. "Each batter I face, I have the mindset that I will strike her out."\nSaturday marks the first of a long-awaited eight game home-stand for the Hoosiers, who began the season with 14 games away from Bloomington. IU returned from the road trip with a 6-8 record and much anticipation for playing at home.\n"It will be really fun to show the Bloomington community what we have been working on," Hayes said. "We are playing excellent ball and playing really tough."\nAs IU students take a week off, the Hoosiers will try to make the most of spring break on the field. \n"With not having school, we can play and go at it not worrying about the stresses of class and work," junior Abby Stark said. "It is a time to focus all of our energy on playing softball." \nAfter Saturday, the Hoosiers are scheduled to play two games against Bradley on Tuesday followed by the Indiana Classic, which begins March 22.