Brothers coach each other on mats

Cooper siblings lead team into NCAA finals

The Cooper brothers, junior Coyte and freshman Matt, represent the present and the future of IU wrestling at the same time. \nCoyte has been a leader for the Hoosiers all season and has written his name in the IU record books. Matt is part of a group of Hoosier underclassmen that coach Duane Goldman has been praising all season and is one of only two true freshmen to regularly start for the Hoosiers. \nMatt Cooper has provided coach Goldman with plenty of reasons to believe in the Hoosiers' young talent. In his true freshman year, Matt cracked the Hoosier lineup and saw regular time on the mat as the Hoosiers' 149-pounder. Although he went winless in the Big Ten season this year, Matt showed plenty of promise by earning 17 victories. He may have had a tough season, but Goldman said the Hoosiers are counting on him and other young Hoosiers to deliver based on the promise that they have shown thus far.\n"Obviously youth is somewhat of a disadvantage," Goldman said. "But it should be exciting for the future. We have a lot of good young talent." \nCoyte Cooper has been one of the best Hoosier wrestlers all season and may soon be considered one of the best Hoosier wrestlers ever. Coyte finished the season with 16 pins on the year, which tied him for second on IU's all-time single season pins list. His 26 career pins are tied for fifth on the Hoosiers' all-time career pins list.\nAnd on Sunday Coyte finished in second place at the Big Ten Championships in Madison, Wisc., earning a place in the NCAA Finals, March 20-22.\nOne explanation of how the Coopers got so good could be that they learn from each other. Coyte and Matt perfect their techniques against each other at practice and neither give an inch to his sibling. Both say their dedication is more a case of brotherly love than sibling rivalry.\nMatt said his brother has taught him quite a bit about staying consistent in his freshman year. \n"He has reminded me to forget who I am wrestling and just go out and wrestle," Matt said.\nCoyte said his brother does the same.\n"It goes both ways," he said. "I've never had a better workout partner or friend."\nNeither Cooper has a bigger fan than his brother.\nDuring a meet, when one Cooper is on the mat, the other one is not far away cheering him on and yelling advice. \n"The hardest part for me when Matt wrestles is sitting back and not getting too excited so I can still concentrate on my own wrestling," Coyte said.\nNext season will be Coyte's senior year, and -- with a full season already under his belt -- Matt is sure to meet greater expectations. With one more year together, the Cooper brothers will try to deliver on the promise of IU wrestling.