Around The Arts

JWAC presents Oscar Wilde's 'Earnest' tonight, Saturday\nThe John Waldron Arts Center continues its 20th anniversary series with "The Importance of Being Earnest" beginning tonight at 8 p.m. The play has been labeled a timeless classic and will also run at 8 p.m. Saturday, April 3, 4, 5, 11, 12 and at 2 p.m. Sunday and April 6 at the JWAC Auditorium. Director Craig Owens said this production will not strictly reproduce the stylistics of 1890s drama.\n"Wilde's drama goes beyond simply ridiculing the morals and manners of Victorian England," Owens said.\nIndividual ticket prices are $12 for the general public, $10 for students and seniors. Bloomington Area Arts Council members and groups of 10 or more receive a discount. Tickets are available at the Sunrise Box Office in the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre, at the BAAC, and at the door. Call 334-3100 ext. 102 for tickets and more information.\nMr. and Miss Asia pageant promotes diverse cultures\nThe Asian Student Union will hold a Mr. and Miss Asia pageant today at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre. The event's goal is to promote diverse culture tradition to all students. The ASU brings together students from Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, Pakistan, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, China, Indonesia, India, the Philippines and elsewhere. The organizers promise a fun-filled evening of talent and fashion open to the entire community. Doors will open at 7 p.m., with the show starting at 8 p.m. There is no admission fee. For more information about the event or ASU, go to www.indiana.edu/~asu.\nCarillon recital features nationally acclaimed musician\nGuest carillonneur John Gouwens is the featured musician in tonight's carillon recital. Gouwens is not only a performer, but also a carillon composer who has toured extensively in the United States, Canada, and Europe. The recital features Badings: Praeludium, from Suite No. 1; Hoiby: Variations and Theme, Op. 60; Gouwens: Danse Triste, Op. 5; English Folk Song (set. Price): The Vicar of Bray; Courter: Suite No. 1, Ibert (trans. Hunsberger): En Barque, Le Soir; Pozdro: Triptych; Welsh Folk Tune: Improvisation of (The Ash Grove); Haydn (trans. Gerken): Pieces for a Musical Clock. The recital will take place at 4:30 p.m. at the Metz Memorial Carillon.