Wrestlers revved up for regional rival

The Hoosier wrestling team returned, winless, from a road trip to No. 4 Ohio State and No. 10 Michigan last week. This pushed the Hoosiers' Big Ten record to 0-3. But coach Duane Goldman still is not worried.\n"I'm not disappointed in anybody at all," Goldman said. "Those were all tough teams we faced, and I'm not upset with our performance."\nEven though Goldman said he is not disappointed with his team's performance, he is looking for them to show improvement tonight against the No.19 Purdue Boilermakers at 7 p.m. in the University Gym.\nTonight, the traditional IU versus Purdue rivalry will once again rear its head. But the Hoosiers, for the most part, are downplaying the rivalry and are just looking to win.\n"Those in state rivalries are always important. But, we've done well against them in the past," Goldman said. "They have a good team this year and they're ranked well. But we have a good team too."\nFreshman Brady Richardson, 174-pound, who returned to action last week and earned his first Big Ten victory against Michigan, said that a win against Purdue would be great.\n"We need to get some momentum back, and I hate Purdue," Richardson said.\nRichardson said he is looking forward to tonight's meet and participating in a rivalry he grew up with. \n"Growing up, everyone either loved IU and hated Purdue or loved Purdue and hated IU," said Richardson, a native of Vincennes. \nAnd where did Richardson's loyalties lie while growing up?\n"I always hated Purdue," Richardson said.\nMeanwhile, senior Greg Schaefer, a native of Evansville, said the rivalry is not more important for him than the rest of the team.\n"I don't think it carries any extra significance for me," Schaefer said. "Whether they're from Indiana or not, I think they're all a part of the IU-Purdue rivalry. The Big Ten season is tough no matter who you're wrestling."\nThe Boilermakers prove that. \nDespite being winless (0-2) in conference meets and losing their last three home meets, Purdue cannot be taken lightly; they still hold the No. 19 ranking in the country. \nThe Boilermakers biggest strength seems to be at 125-pounds, where they boast the top-ranked wrestler in the nation, sophomore Cliff Fleeger. Normally, the Hoosiers would send freshman Joe Dubuque against Fleeger, but Dubuque has had trouble with a right knee injury all season and missed the last two meets.\nGoldman said Dubuque is day-to-day. If Dubuque is unable to go, the Hoosiers may have to forfeit the 125-pound bout. Dubuque is the team's only 125-pounder and a forfeit to Fleeger will give the Boilermakers an easy six points.\nWith or without Dubuque, the Hoosiers are simply looking for their first win of the Big Ten season. If it happens to come at the expense of Purdue, Richardson said he couldn't be happier.